My shop/barn build thread

Damn, I’m jealous!

Actually Ive been tinkering away on it. I need to snap some pics for my latest update. Maybe today!

Dan

Nice :tup:

So awesome

Very nice! Are you going to run a separate boiler in there? Or trench a loop from your house out there? I guess you could do that at the same time as electric.

I know you said 3 weeks, but how long were they working? Just 8hrs/day 5 days?

Separate boiler for the barn. We dont have a boiler in the house.

3 weeks, most days 8hours, they worked a couple of sats, but missed a few days during the week here / there.

Dan

awesome.

$2.70?!?!? You need to find a new supplier. I just paid $1.89 and I thought that was high.

was going of current WNY retail quote.
I paid $2.40 last season for ~260 gals from Reliable. It’ll last me for 2-3 years though.
Used ~60 gals since the start of the year for everything but heat.

I checked today and we are locked in at $2.70/gallon for this year. I had a pretty huge credit from last year since it was so mild so my monthly “budget” went down by $40. Also, I cant switch providers since my tank is buried and the own it. But whatever, its not a big deal.

annnnywho, enough talk about propane and propane accessories.

My father in law brought his Kubota up a couple weeks ago to dig another ditch for more conduit. This time for water and low voltage electric. We also had to dig up the original conduit meant for the electric service as it needed to be moved since the barn didnt end up exactly where we thought it might when we planned it 9 years ago.

We also used the backhoe to help scrape out around the inside of the barn to install the R-10 foam insulation for the slab. That was a real treat. Even with the machine it was a ton of hand digging. The insulation goes down 24" on the north and west sides and 16" on the south and east (as measured from where the top of the slab will be).

Then we backfilled it all and leveled out the dirt that was left inside.

Since then Ive moved a bunch more dirt and rocks around. Next up I need to get a couple of loads of dirt in to backfill the north and west sides, tamp down all the dirt good and get ready for stone to be delivered. Im HOPING to get the stone in this week, but being a short week I have a feeling its going to be another week.

Also the 2100 feet of tubing for the radiant heat showed today. Wee.

Dan

This thing is huge :tup:

Ya, its large. I should park the truck in there to put it into perspective.

Getting 20 yards of dirt delivered tomorrow to back fill the north side. Then probably 30 tons of stone…

Dan

Heard that before.

The tubing, manifolds, etc showed up this week for the radiant heat. I purchased everything from the Blue Ridge Company. They were great to deal with, the price was right and everything looks pretty nice as far as I can tell.

I also had 20 yards of dirt delivered to back fill along the outside of the north wall.

Dan

So I worked nearly all weekend but didnt seem to accomplish a ton. Lots of “figuring” and running around to get supplies etc.

Anyway, I managed to get the panel box mounted and the conduit all squared away. Installed two boxes for switches by the door and a 12" square box for network/phone/cable management and pull access. (the box under the window). The plywood panel around the box will be covered with white FRP and made removable for easier access to the box once the steel liner panels are hung.

I also made up a bracket to hold the elbows for the PEX (I couldnt stand it if they were just flopping around) and mounted the manifold.

This am they came to start leveling and compacting the floor and got a good start on the ramp in front. The plan is to finish tomorrow, then I can get working on the metal mesh and PEX install.

Should be a good week.

Dan

:tup:

good progress

Awesome! Super jealous.

Holy crap, you can put the last couple nyspeed garage projects inside your garage.

I love the one picture where you can see a small shed next to your giant garage in progress.

I would KILL for this kind of workspace. UGHHHHHH

That shed is 10’x12’ just to put it into perspective.

They are finishing up the prep for the floor and the driveway this am. Looks like Ill be laying down some mesh tonight.

Dan