Mythbusters - Anyone see something that will stop 6000 page threads?

In all seriousness unlike yesterday when I was posting, the plane will move as Newman stated but it will not create enough lift under the Airfoil. For all you idiots (Walter) instead of posting my knowledge in avionics, I’ll just refer to a few examples that are somewhat “dumbed down” (again this is for people like Walter). Taken for Wikipedia:

From the Biot-Savart law, this vorticity produces a flow field w(s) where

w(x) = \frac{1} {(2 \pi)} \int_{0}^{c} \frac {\gamma (x’)}{(x-x’)} dx’

where x is the location at which induced velocity is produced, x’ is the location of the vortex element producing the velocity and c is the chord length of the aerofoil.

Since there is no flow normal to the curved surface of the airfoil, w(x) balances that from the component of main flow V which is locally normal to the plate - the main flow is locally inclined to the plate by an angle α − dy / dx. That is

V . (\alpha - dy/dx) = w(x) = \frac{1} {(2 \pi)} \int_{0}^{c} \frac {\gamma (x’)}{(x-x’)} dx’

This integral equation can by solved for γ(x), after replacing x by

\ x = c(1 - cos ( heta ))/2 ,

as a Fourier series in Ansin(nθ) with a modified lead term A0(1 + cos(θ)) / sin(θ)

That is \frac{\gamma( heta)} {(2V)} = A_0 \frac {(1+cos( heta))} {sin( heta)} + \sum A_n . sin (n heta)) Continued at Airfoil - Wikipedia

where x is the location at which induced velocity is produced, x’ is the location of the vortex element producing the velocity “X” doesnt exist because there is no induced velocity produced. Why? Glad you asked. Again from Wikipedia since they explain things so well:

The lift force, lifting force or simply lift is a mechanical force generated by solid objects as they move through a fluid.[1]

While many types of objects can generate lift, the most common and familiar object in this category is the airfoil, a relatively flat object of which the common airplane wing is an example. For the sake of simplicity, this article will discuss lift primarily in the context of airfoils and wings.
The lift generated by an airfoil depends on such factors as the speed of the airflow, the density of the air, the total area of the airfoil, and the angle of attack. The angle of attack is the angle at which the airfoil meets the oncoming airflow (or vice versa). A symmetric airfoil must have a positive angle of attack to generate positive lift. At a zero angle of attack, no lift is generated. At a negative angle of attack, negative lift is generated. A cambered airfoil may produce positive lift at zero, or even small negative angles of attack.

The basic concept of lift is simple. However, the details of how the relative movement of air and airfoil interact to produce the turning action that generates lift are complex. Below are several explanations of lift, all of which are different but equivalent descriptions of the same phenomenon from different viewpoints.

A symmetric airfoil must have a positive angle of attack to generate positive lift. At a zero angle of attack, no lift is generated. At a negative angle of attack, negative lift is generated

This right here is why I said no… the plane will not take off. That being said IN MY OPINION, I think that the plane will not create enough lift around the surrounding airfoil. The plane will move with resistance but depending on how far the conveyor belt is (which I’m sure it wont be long at all) I dont think it will get up to speed to fly. Now all you who said yes it will fly and supported a diagram that doesn’t represent the proper magnitude of the question is quite appalling. Maybe someone smarter than you said “yes it will fly” and then you jumped on the band wagon. :tup: to all those who agreed or disagreed and provided some what intellagent explanations.