NEED backyard mechanic advice.

Well coming home from the track the other day I spun a rod bearing in the talon. Drove it about ~2 miles with the expression “wtf is that noise” pulled over and had it towed. Pulled the head expecting to see a floated valve smashed since I was revving above “factory specs.” But in turn found nothing really…pulled the pan to find the #2 rod bearing that melted down. The car turned over by hand so easy with no apparent slop in the rod bearing so it was kinda weird. Of course I’m going to check the tolerences and stuff but this is my backyard cheap fix question that I know is wrong…

If everything checks out half decent, do you think I can just pop a bearing in and run it through winter. (Id flush the motor out the best I could…) If I did this I would return it to stock otherwise and run factory boost and all.

The reasoning is I have a mint spare shortblock, but I was saving to drop my money into this summer. I KNOW just throwing a bearing in is not the right solution but I want to know if any of you had any luck doing this in a pinch. The current block is kinda beat and I do not want to build it…

So let me hear your thoughts!

it sound like a bad idea, but i personally never tried it. might as well try and see what happens if you dont care about that motor

Steve,

my dad’s truck has a .030 over bearing in on a crank journal that I tried to clean up the best I could. This bearing still has ~.020 of play in it, letting the rod slap around.

The truck has been running for like 7 months like this :rofl:

Not a right fix by any means; he’s waiting for it to explode to buy something else and it just won’t die. This is all on a ~230k mile motor, too.

heh if it’s worth your time to do all that crap then whats the worst that could happen?

I did it 2 years ago it lasted 3300 miles. on a 90 talon turbo…

Yeah I think I might do it. Seriously when its all said and done and I throw the motor away I wont care at all.