Need help from you SBC guys

So i’m about half way into rebuilding the engine in the 280z that i blew up the day i got it.

The idea is to just get this car up and running for the summer, i have a 400 sitting at my grandfathers house, i will be using parts off that + another spare block from a friend of mine to build a 385 (yes 385 its been bored over) This winter.

Right now i’m a little confused, the block below is a 91 from a 1500 its a 1 piece rear main with hydraulic roller lifters, with all of the roller stuff cast into the block.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]20757[/ATTACH]

In the next photo, its a 94 block from a G20 van (truck block i know) It’s also a 1 piece rear main seal with flat tappet, however after looking the block over, it appears this is one of the few GM blocks that came from the factory with the provisions for the roller cam, its kind of a hybrid i guess…

I’ve taken measurements and everything is exactly the same for the lifters / retainer area. And if you look at where the pushrod is pointing to, you can see a small indent. This is where the spider bolt holes are supposed to be tapped. I’ll have to use some spacers to get it right, but it should work… right? am i missing anything here?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20758[/ATTACH]

That block is not factory roller ready. The first picture has a raised boss that is threaded. The second block doesn’t have that boss and I would no recommend drilling a tapping that area of the block. Best bet is to purchase link-bar conversion roller lifters. Also you do know that stock 400 SBC crankshafts have a larger main journal diameter that will need to be turned to fit in a 350 cu.in block. And an OEM 400 SB crankshaft will not work with a 1 piece RMS. You would be better off buying a brand new SCAT 9000 series 383 stroker crankshaft for a 1 piece RMS

I forgot to mention i would be getting some 2.2 roller lifters (they are smaller) and should work, from what i read its an easy fix for my situation.

Also yes i know the stroker build will require a lot of machine work

How come you’re not using the 400? Better choice IMO

Because i just want this car driveable for the summer.

Also i just realized something, the isky cam i’m looking at is for flat tappets… I completely missed that haha. This thread is for nothing.