WTB: 400 SBC

Looking to buy a 400 SBC. You guys might have a block or complete motor laying around, so I thought Id ask lol. Im looking to start my build for the Bird’ this winter. :cool:

how about a running 454?

if ur planning on putting that in ur car m,i wouldnt heat issues,get a new bowtie block with the thicker cly walls,trust me!

do 87-up roller cam 350 instead.

No I dont want to swap a BBC in lol.

Alot of that is myth, I have read up on 400’s and their ‘heat issues’ and ‘cracking blocks.’ If you cool the engine right, there should be no heating issues. But that goes for any engine, any block can crack if its not cooled properly. :greddy:

Can I find one fairly cheap? Im not dead-set on a 400, I just would like the extra cubes if I could find one. A 350 is not out of the question, but why 87-Up? My dad has told me I want to look for an 85-Older block.

another buy eurodads motor? :hahano::hahano::hahano:

my motor was sold long long ago jack ass. it’s not funny anymore.

cheaper to run a roller cam. most cam with roller cams or had the provisions to add them.

sorry son,in a turdgen t/a u will have trouble,trust me ,been down that road more times then ur age!

:rofl:

Id take his advice!

I understand its not going to be easy, point taken. I like a challenge, and I have the help of my dad and his friend as well as the guys on Thirdgen that have already done the 400 swap. If for some reason we just cant get it to work, Ill just throw it in my truck. My dad swapped a 400 into a Olds Omega and drove it from Pittsburgh to South Carolina and back with no overheating, so he does have experience with them.

I just want to try… :x:

that aint a turd gen

Your right, its not a ThirdGen but why are you saying its going to be near impossible? :nuts: Its been done successfully before…

/u

Listen to Brian (Pewter). The little air-dam you have isn’t going to be flowing enough air for a 400. Just go LS1. :smiley:

Dude I wish I had enough money to swap in an LS1. You dont think a cowl hood will help with the air flow any?

If I do indeed attempt to build this 400 I plan to run dual electric fans w/ an aluminum radiator to keep it cool.

should just buy a foxbody :rofl:

Would never buy a Rustang, sorry. :stick:

i got smart and sold my 400…

Found and bought a 400 Small block. After I ran the casting it turns out its the most sought after 400: Its got the 1% of Tin and 2% of Nickel added, its a 2 Bolt which is stronger than the 4 Bolt 400’s, and has 2 freeze plugs per side instead of 3 like all other 400s so its known as a ‘cheater’ block because at first glance it can be mistaken to be a 350.

Well this will be an all winter project, but its GOING to happen…I repeat…GOING TO HAPPEN. Plans so far are:

Between 350-425 HP to the Wheels
High 11’s / Low 12’s
TH400 Trans
3000 Stall Converter
Most likely 12 Bolt Rear
3.27 or 3.55 Gears
Aluminum Radiator
Dual Electric Fans
Ram Air Hood

And so on and so on…