Budget SBC buildup.

I’ve got a 350 block bored to a 355. What in your guy’s opinion would be a nice budget buildup, or best bang for my buck buildup of it. It’s got stock heads (Looking to replace, lol.) and I’ve got an Edelbrock 4bbl carb (No idea on any info apart from that.) and what looks like an Edelbrock performer intake. Thanks in advanced.

if your only looking to run a mild cam and make 350-400hp, put some vortec heads on it. if you want more than buy edelbrock heads.

I’m looking to make 400hp. This is going to be the first engine build I’ve ever done and it’s for my senior project. Just looking for tips on achieving the 400 mark for cheap, and tips on the build up.

It seems like I keep seeing thevortecs selling for more than the elelbrocks, especially if you consider any machine work on the vortecs. Am I missing something???

if your not going to run a big cam, than you can pick up used vortecs for 300ish. if you want to run the bigger cams, then you need to get machine work done, then the price goes up to that of a set of edelbrocks or brand x.

what is the budget? two piece rear seal block or one piece seal block? stock bore or ? compression? roller cam or flat tappet?

thats kinda what I was thinking. Mike (neonracer01) said he was pricing the edlebrock ones at Advacne auto, and the were around $550.00 a set. Seemed like a better deal. I have been see the vortecs running upwards of $450 at parts-a-ramas…

if its a roller cam then go LT4 hotcam with vortecs. i think you dont need machine work done if you keep lift under .510. just get new 1.25inch springs and run 1.5 rockers. i think that will work as the lift will be .492"

taht cam can be bought like new for 100-130 bucks. will make over 400hp on those heads with 10 to 1 compression

if you want good cheap heads check out the new Patriot heads… they flow like a champ and are fullly setup for .550-600 lift or so, dont remember exactly but they are just under 800 complete. i dont think you’ll find a better deal than that unless you buy used heads from someone

After looking at the advance auto web page I think Neonracer01 might have been wrong, it looks like that is the price per head, not per set. So the Vortec are looking better…

no way are they 550 a set. maybe 550 each. new vortecs are around $5-550 a set.

you can find vortec heads for 300ish. just have to be patient.

you can avoid machine work by using the CC beehive springs and retainers. they will be good upto .525. but for the price of the springs, retainers, and locks, your at about the same as the machine work. and then run the 1.6 roller rockers.

yeah, thats for 1 head not the set.