need help building my vortec sbc

now tha the motor is in the car and running well, it’s time to up the ponies. I’m planning on heads and cam minimally, but if I need to do the carb and intake I’ll do that too.

right now the motor is fairly stock, other than the carb conversion. I’m running a Holley 600cfm carb.

Ideally I’d like to make close to 400 horse at the crank. but I have no idea what combo would be proper for a small budget.

I would like to stick with the vortec style head so I don’t need to buy a different intake, but if I can find something that works just as well in the older style have no objection.

anyone have some free advice they’d like to help me with?

---------- Post added at 05:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:53 PM ----------

when I say small budget I mean under $1500-$2k

you already have vortec heads? if you want to keep it under $2k, use the heads you have if they’re vortecs.

yeah, heads are vortec. the motor came out of a '97 3/4 ton pickup. it is a 4 bolt main block.

my only concern is that I know the heads will need some machine work to be able to accept a more radical cam because I knoe they won’t accept much lift. I don’t remember exactly what the specs are anymore though.

Keep the heads and do the machine work to run a larger cam, .470 is the max for lift.

Dont spend too much,you can go carb/old school distributor on a LS1.

I have a complete build list for a sub 400hp SBC for Under $2k, the vortec heads were a 1/3 of the cost! Keep them. I’ll find the excel sheet I have. I’m building it for the miata

That’d be awesome schema. Thanks