Need some schooling--SBC 101

So long story short, had a few too many drinks and woke up the next morning with a 79 Malibu in my driveway. I’ve always wanted one, but the problem is I am a Mustang guy and don’t know a thing about GM’s. So, I’m looking for the basics on what to look for when buying a SBC on a budget. Can any of you GM guys help out?

Lol how much power are you looking for and what is your budget?

What is your power goals and or intended use for car ? I’m a Gm guy and your answer is gonna be the rt I give u

All three of Shift’s SBC guys in da house!

Mild build I would check out the article that I believe Popular Hot Rodding did. It was a L98 TPI block known for having strong crank and rods. Set of lightly ported/blended Vortec heads from the L31 Chevy truck, Performer RPM intake, and good set of headers. 450 crank horse was their goal on pump gas.

Thanks guys. My budget is low…All my money goes to the 2 stangs and the house. I don’t necesarily have goals other than to make the car a decent driver. Like I said, I had a few beers and woke up with a car. I’m thinking just a mild 350 consisting on mostly stock GM parts(aluminum heads are out of the budget). I guess, in stock form, what would be,and where would I find a good donor motor for a few hundred $?

They are out there pretty much everywhere. Is the car missing it’s engine and trans currently? Like Joe posted as far as bang for the buck vortec heads are hard to beat. The flywheel flange on the crank is different on 86 down vs 87 up motors so what you already have is going to depend. That car should have a TH350 I think. Anyway LS1tech , thirdgen.org and craigslist are all good places to find used parts on the cheap.

I would run either TPI heads or Vortec heads on that motor. The vortecs being a better head and the best flowing SBC head that ever came out of the factory. The vortec head will need an intake designed for it as the intake ports are a little higher. The TPI heads use standard SBC intake.

http://www.hotrod.com/projectbuild/hrdp_0609_500hp_small_block_chevy_build/viewall.html

You can modify a carb intake to bolt to the center 4 bolts on the TPI heads, but you they are at a different angle. I think a friend of mine got a carb to vortec intake for less than 150 shipped from JEGs a year ago. Either way it would really help to know what he has to work with so far.

Id put in a fuel injected 327 and a t56 and a complete Global West suspension system and go autocrossing

You do realize he’s working on a budget. He would easily sink 10k into the car to build it with all of that.

well there was no dollar amount given.

I guess he can make it another carbed 350/th350 doesnt corner worth a shit straightline only car but wheres the fun in that?

tpi setup and wiring: http://albany.craigslist.org/pts/3520174049.html

327: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1968-Chevy-327-300-horse-complete-running-engine-WILL-SHIP-/290821353973?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43b64db1f5&vxp=mtr

t56: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Borg-Warner-Tremec-T56-6-Speed-LT-1-1993-1997-hearse-not-included-/300842605950?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item460b9ddd7e&vxp=mtr

suspension: http://www.mattsclassicbowties.com/contents/en-us/d1808.html

of course theres alot of other bits and pieces needed like the pedal assembly (some g bodies had 4 speeds), bellhousing, etc but this is just a general idea

Ok, maybe I can be a little more clearer. I’m not looking to put alot of money in this car period. PJB, your suggestions are exactly what I don’t want to do. I’m going for the easiest possible set-up. Basicaly, I would like to know if I’m buying a complete running motor trans combo, what cars or vehicles should I look for/stay away from ect. Intake, carb, cam changes can/will be done. I’m not interested in autox and already building a drag car, so just want a cheap driver. It’s roller, auto car, previously had 67 283 out of a vette and th350.

IMHO your best best would be to find a used 2 piece rear main seal 350 and a TH350 trans. Also a good set of used vortec heads with appropriate intake, carb… Basically if your looking to do this on a budget then you should get on craigslist see what you can find and hit the swap meets come spring time. 350 motors and trans are very common just check the bellhousing area of the trans for stress cracks. Easy enough to have welded, but some thing to watch for. The good thing about GM stuff is for the most part it all works together.

For a good reliable runner get a 96 up 5.7 lt engine out of a truck "cheap motors " great heads “vortec” ditch the injection system and get a carbed intake for the vorted heads , get a holley h.p series 600c.f.m four barrel and a h.e.I dizzy . As far as trannys go u can do a 700r4 ,th400/350 etc as there not comp controlled . That will get u a solid reliable d/t . Add cam if u please ,if u do I would do the g.m lt4 hotcam kit and have a rock solid trq monster with great power as well .

Stay away from all 305/5.0 The 350/5.7 from trucks in the 80s and 90s have garbage “swirl port” heads. 96-99 5.7L Vortec engines had the vortec heads that flow great from factory. 5.0 Vortec engines still had junk heads. TPI heads are a close 2nd but yes there may be some intake bolt issue that I never ran into. If you are in need of a motor and trans may I suggest a 5.3L from a 99+ pickup with 4L60 overdrive trans and computer. The swap may be well worth the 295hp out of the box on a bone stock engine on 87 octane. It would also have great gas mileage and probably be closer to 330hp at the crank after swap headers, catless exhaust, and high flow intake that you will probably need for the swap anyway.

definitely go with an overdrive transmission. 3 speeds suck on the highway.

P.S. All options above are a good way to go. None of use beside PJB are blowing any smoke. and a 3spd auto with a decent gear behind it like a 3.23 or 3.08 will be fine on the highway. If you had an overdrive trans tho I would take the benefit from a 3.42/3.55 or 3.73 gear. The Vortec motors we speak of above were 260hp from the factory and would be closer to 300+ with a carb intake and headers. Vortec motors and other decent small blocks made more low end torque than the newer LS series. But if it were me with your goals than 300+hp on 87 octane would be a must so Vortec 5.7 or 5.3L truck motor are my suggestions. It would certainly be a fun and reliable car.

if your looking to stay on the cheap here ya go

http://albany.craigslist.org/pts/3506796878.html

you would need to have the driveshaft modified and make a trans crossmember, but for the price…

There is a good amount of stuff on CL alone, just depends on how cheap you want to do the project.

Joe- I was just giving my opinion on how to build it. If I ever did another car it would be a '78-'80 Monte Carlo (also a G body) built exactly like I posted as a suggestion. Id want a high revving car that can handle.