realistically what does it cost?

So as most of you know i totaled my car in July. I was thinking of a new project in the spring, and i had a few questions. I am going to be getting about 8k in April. So what is the realistic cost of building an SBC swapped S13 vs. an SBC swapped FC?? I love both cars, and i just want something that would be a shitload of fun, but still be reliable (if done correctly). So basically i am curious if i am out of my fuckin mind for thinking i can do it on 8k??

What kind of SBC do you want… they are on the 4th generation now and designing the 5th. old 350 truck motors could be had for a few hundred $$$ but the 96+ Vortec 5.7s, LT1s and Gen III LSX is gonna cost more. Can you do this swap yourself? Chassis of course is a get what ya pay for deal…

depends on what engine you are planning on (ls1 vs lt1 varies greatly). FC’s are a fairly straightforward swap to a V8. Also, are you doing the work or is a shop?

s13’s are out there, but usually are riddled with rust issues. If it were me, I’d plan on an fc

It’s probably $8k to put a LS1 in a S13, I wouldnt waste time with a LT1 or something all iron, maybe a LM7 though. I’d go s13 over fc, just travel south a bit for something rust free, pick up a clean shell for under $1k.

there are a million (yes, one million) fc’s with the lt1 swap, cost effective and good hp. there is no way he can do an lsX for 8k when he also has to buy the shell too

I was thinking an older truck motor. Weight is not a huge issue, as I have 0 drift or race driving abilities. Maybe further down the road. But I love the look of either, and I was just unsure of costs. My parents live in SC so I would try to find a rust free (as much as possible) shell down there. But out of curiosity what is the weight difference of an LT1 vs. An LS1? I would do the work myself, except maybe get some help for the wiring as I have never done that before. I honestly just want a fun car with some appeal and power. Not looking for 800hp more like 350 max. Just something new to play with.

im not sure how much a fully dressed lt1 weighs (fully dressed meaning tranny, oil, coolant and complete longblock) but a fully dressed LS1 w/ a T56 is around 560lbs. I believe the LT1 is around 70-100lbs more.

//\ I believe you are correct, lt1 w/ t56 is around 650 I believe

Most expensive parts are going to be shell and T56. You can get a 5.3 LSx motor for $200-500 and a 6.0 for $600-900. You need an F-body oil pan/windage tray/oil pickup tube or have someone modify the stock pan (perhaps KrazyKid). Wiring harness and ECM, get ANY LSx harness and I can help you re-pin and modify it to fit. You’ll also want a car style intake manifold to clear the hood.

I don’t know what S13 shells are going for, but I think $8k is enough for everything if you know where and what to get. Obviously I’ll help you with that. I’ll also modify the harness and do your wiring and tuning so don’t worry about that either.

where are you finding lsx for that money?

8grand! Shit buy a thousand dollar corolla and put the 7gs in da bank.

All over homie… You just have to look. I had a complete 5.3 with all accessories uncut harness/ecu for under $500.

for that money i would find an fc already swapped, ive seen ls1 swapped ones go for around 8k before (everything else being stock on it). it would be hard to do it yourself for that cheap.

Lol if you find a 6.0 that cheap let me know because I usually find them around 2k

there is a LS1 Fc on ls1tech right now for 17500…

Buy the 240 thats for sale on this site and put a 5.3 in it.

lol mayb high mile junk that needs a rebuild

I can probably get you a running and driving '99 Chevy pickup with a 5.3 for a grand or less. No title on the truck- salvage paperwork.

4x4 though so the tranny is probably of no use to you.

You guys aren’t looking hard enough… I’ve seen them all over for 600-800…

^thats still good even if he cant use the tranny…cuz thats the motor and harness right there…