85TA's 400sbc

After a year+ has passed memories of me kicking eurodads 350 still haunt me (damn you all!!) but today was a memory of not feeling guilty for the kicking, as for I bought a 400sbc. Its a 71-72 from a Impalla. Came pretty much complete with a set of Keith Black Pistons ( 30 over ). all for $200!

As for plans I have two routes of choice.

Fist would be to mainly replace anyhting that needs replaced, and maybe put a cam in it. Then drop it in. I’m not looking for huge numbers. just more than a 305 right now and has potential for the future.

2nd Would be to performance build EVERYTHING and look for larger numbers. but thats not what I care about right now. But this would be down the road when i hve an income that can support it. (which my income now was lucky to buy this thing at all)

So most likely option 1 will be done. Just replace whats needed with some performance in mind. SO if anyone has some afermarket sbc parts let me know! I’ll be looking for some…

http://i27.tinypic.com/2zi21a8.jpg

the built off starts, remember you dont have a job, so Jhortons 400 is going to get done first

About time.

Two bolt or four bolt main block?

sadly a 2…

its stronger than a four…

2 bolt 400’s are stronger than the 4’s. Good stuff!

you know your motor is a 4 bolt main

:rofl: at eurodad comment

good luck with build and ask questions when needed

Thanks guys… already my knowledge slacks :frowning:

the only way to learn is to dig in. you will find questions when you get more involved

eurodad had one for sale.

nice…good luck on the build :cool:

correction: 4 bolt… i knew it wasn’t the good one haha

U will b sorry,that car aint made to cool a 400 sb in city traffic!

Pewter’s right, cooling is tough.

FYI Check the piston part number too:

The 400 has a very short connecting rod 5.565"
alot of the KB pistons require a 5.7" rod.

U sure it’s a 4 bolt? Most two barrels were two bolt.

Summit has a direct-fit radiator for third-gens.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=SUM-380455&N=700+0&autoview=sku

I have one in mine and it works great on the 408. Not too bad on the price either.

i wouldnt think this would pass inspection being the engine is older than the car.

camaro cool better then a T/A!!

why wont it?

i thought you were not able to put an older engine in a car and pass inspection/emissions. i was under the impression you could only go up in years.

i have done alot of research on a 400, and if it came out of a 71- 72 impala its a 4 bolt main.