sbc guys step in

So my uncle needs to get rid of a 1972 350 with 2 bolt mains that he took out of a 2 door impala in 1985 (not sure if it has accessories or not if that matters). It has been sitting in a garage ever since and probably needs a full rebuild.

he also has a 3 speed auto tranny in unknown condition from the same car.

is this worth anything? core for a rebuild maybe? no one would want it because of 2 bolt mains?

he wants to get $100-200 for it. Is that an unrealistic number? my dad says its junk just get rid of it but I thought I would ask here because I know a bunch of you guys know your shit (and are up to date).

thanks

Wait he wants 100-200 for the entire car? The engine probably isn’t worth much, someone might want it for a rebuild but not worth much. The trans is probably a turbo350/400 which people always want and are easy to rebuild so I’d say that is worth more then the engine.

Try to get the engine to run…put some oil in the top end and see if she’ll run. You’d be surprised how long an engine will last.

$100 for engine and tranny? Might even be worth scrapping it for that…

sorry, to clarify the car is long gone. all he has is the engine and tranny which are not together.

so the engine is junk?

tranny may be worth something? any idea on a value? im really shooting in the dark here

I’d say that $100 each is the minimum you should take. People are always looking for a decent TH350/400 and SBC’s that haven’t been bored,2 bolt or 4 bolt.

you can also make a 2bolt stronger then a 4bolt if you’re actually building the engine…

i would take a 2 bolt over a 4 bolt anyday. put splayed endcaps in it and itll be much stronger.

i would say 100 bucks is fair. i paid 75 for my 2bolt block complete with a spun rod bearing. brand new everything except rods which were checked and from pan to intake it cost about $800 for the rebuild including .030 bore. itll sell fast.

I have yet to see a 2 bolt SBC fail because of it being a 2 bolt block,Its more of an old wives tale than anything. Car show guys like to brag about having a 4 bolt block and the same guys stick a RV cam/intake/carb on it and think they have 500hp.

lol this