Need help: undelete software

So a guy left work from our group, and I’ve got to go through his PC and see if there are any files that we need to save before scrapping it. What’s the best software for picking through his recently deleted items so I can find copies of his resume and naked pictures of his wife and stuff? :headbang:

IB Locutus

EasyRecovery Pro

worked wonders for me

send me drive. problem solved.

easy recovery pro is a good out of the box solution, but keep in mind that you should never attempt data recovery to a drive that is not write protected with a hardware write protect. other factors can also contribute to destruction of the files that you want recovered but im not going to get into that.

but seriously, if you want it done right send it to me. ask yourself or your friend how much that data is worth to them before you start messing with it. I’m a computer forensic expert, i know what im talking about.

[quote=“walter”"]

So a guy left work from our group, and I’ve got to go through his PC and see if there are any files that we need to save before scrapping it. What’s the best software for picking through his recently deleted items so I can find copies of his resume and naked pictures of his wife and stuff?

[/quote]

also after reading that again, ERP will not tell you recently delted items, that infomation is hard coded in info2 records (which i can parse for you)

also if you are concerned with litigation, you need to follow the requred steps for digital evidence. not going down that path unless you engage our company but it sounds like you only want a quick peek at his stuff. legally you can if you company owns the asset, so you should be ok.

PM me if you want to move forward with something.

[quote=“Locutus,post:5,topic:28915"”]

also after reading that again, ERP will not tell you recently delted items, that infomation is hard coded in info2 records (which i can parse for you)

[/quote]

just out of curiousity what do you mean by recently deleted items? I’m pretty sure it can recover deleted items… but are you saying that it won’t give a time frame when they were deleted so files from 3 years ago may be attempted to be recovered?

[quote=“ILCisDEAD,post:6,topic:28915"”]

just out of curiousity what do you mean by recently deleted items? I’m pretty sure it can recover deleted items… but are you saying that it won’t give a time frame when they were deleted so files from 3 years ago may be attempted to be recovered?

[/quote]

i used the software a while ago, but ya. essentially i think it will just give you the files and not really investigate when it was deleted. the software will look for deleted mft entries and file signatures on the drive and attempt to recover them

i just read a book that highly recommended this software, its good stuff, but there are other steps that need to be considered for a proper recovery… just accessing the drive can corrupt it further. if litigation is even a 1% possibility, proper steps must be taken or it wont be admissible in court.

Cant you System restore back to before he deleted it.

Um.

This is mostly for shits and giggles. I have Admin rights on the computer, I just assume he wasn’t dumb enough to leave anything interesting on it, nor smart enough to cover it up very well when he deleted it.

There is nothing wrong with the HD, nor do I have access problem.

[quote=“The_Russian,post:8,topic:28915"”]

Cant you System restore back to before he deleted it.

[/quote]

System restore, only changes settings and removes anything installed after that date. It can not bring old files back, nor revert a majority of files to a prior state unless they are windows system files.

I don’t need a system restore. The reading comprehension is strong in this thread.

:derrr:

if its just for shits and giggles then go ahead and check out the suggestion in post 3.

well. post the pics if you get em.

Anyone able to send me a DL? Can’t bother trying to find it at work…

I know what directory I want, its deleted, crappy shareware I keep finding sucks a nut.