Vista question

My Father is the last person on Earth who should own or use a computer, but I bought him a laptop last Xmas anyways. He was trying to connect it to a new-to-his-computer dial-up internet provider. The thing dialed ok, but wouldn’t connect to anything. He called the provider and they told him it was a hardware issue and said to call HP. He called HP and the first thing they had him do was a system restore to sometime last December.

Not having the computer in front of me, nor being good with Vista, is there a way to get any (or all) of his old files back? Are they gone for good?

You can do a data recovery… just because you format your computer doesn’t mean your files are gone.

They “may” still be there… as for programs to use… Someone should be able to suggest a good one

ibfggtssayshouldhaveboughtamac

cant u go to system restore and restore to any date. just restore it to the day you want then save files and restore again to date where internet works, load saved files back onto pc?

i did it with my laptop which also has vista and so far their isnt a way to get those files back. I did the system restore 3 months ago and i still havent found anyone that can find my old files.

i bet the FBI can find them, lol

… I’ll be that guy, who still uses dial up? lol

My dad lives in the boonies, his choices are satellite internet service or dial-up for 1/10 the cost.

Any suggestions for someone who kinda knows their way around a computer to retrieve what has been lost?

A Windows system restore shouldn’t delete any ‘files’. All a system restore does is restore/rebuild the Windows directories and a few others that are core to running Windows. Things like your Documents folder and the like should have been untouched. Unless they used some HP branded system restore thing that may have removed everything and rebuilt the factory image. If that’s the case you’re going to need special software to find the files.

Like I said, I’m no where near the computer and just going off of what my Dad told me. He’s computer illiterate and I’m slightly better, so I’m hoping I’ll be able to find his stuff.

HE SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT A MAC FAGGOTS!

What does a man like that need to recover? naked pics of you 10 years ago?

the software they use is available to the public as far as I know. Its expensive as hell but I got to use it at UB in their MIS graduate lab.

Encase is the software.

lol tell him to call localnet. because apparently we do everything! lol

very expensive - encase torrent - Google Search

enough people to drive me insane every day at work? haha

I’m gonna call localnet every hour now, knowing that you work for local net.

sweet! hopefully it doesnt overflow into the corecomm q

Edit: ill be that guy xp > vista (vista fucking blows!)

And you’ll be the guy with no idea what you are talking about :ohnoes:

probably right, but vista still sucks big dick!

Give me three good reasons why. Ready? Go.

He has a bunch of pics of your mom he was going to use as a public service announcement for the dangers of over-eating, but he also had a bunch of files/pictures for his racecars. Plus my sister bought him an iPod that he sort of knows how to use.

I used to hate on vista but found myself using it more and more. Its different but it grows on you.