Computer People HELPPPP

Ok heres the story My gf’s laptop I guess took a crap this weekend …When you go to turn it on windows starts loading and then a screen comes up and says Windows didnt shut down right and to start it in safe mode …When I choose start in ANY mode it goes to some blue screen with some error on it and then restarts again and thats all it will do… So basically Im just looking to see if someone can get her crap from the hard drive and totally blow out the brains on it and make it all new so I can sell it …or at the most just get her pics and crap off the hard drive so shell stop complaining …ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED AND WELCOMED COME ON COMPUTER GUYS HELP ME OUTTTTT THANKS :slight_smile:

This is weird, mine did the same exact thing. It gives you a bunch of options and no matter what you choose, it just shuts down and does the same thing. I got a new hard drive from HP bc its still under warranty, but that really wasnt the answer. It still does it occasionally but it will actually start up now. What kind of laptop is it? (Just curious)

beat this its a …HP

haha imagine that. good luck talking to anyone there, I had a hard time understanding anyone, but hell, i have a hard time understanding a hardcore southern accent too. Ill never buy another HP again. I had a desktop for alittle over a year, and of course, out of warranty, that I had to put a new hard drive in. I sold that, and got this laptop in April, and have already replaced this hard drive. Like I said, it works now, but every once in awhile that screen comes up and I just hit the enter button and it works, but who knows for how long!

yea she went out last night and got a new PC …no more laptops …I just want to get her crap off the old one and the ndo whatever with the old one

I could help you out. I work on PCs. If you give me the laptop, I can pull the hard drive and get all the data you need and burn it on a DVD for you. Then give the laptop and DVD to you. Your not too far away either, Bethel Park.

I’ll take the old laptop

if I can get it semi fixed ill either sell it or shoot hockey pucks at it

Pick up one of these and connect it to the new computer.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812156102

You can copy your stuff to a safe location and then use your laptop drive as external drive if you wanted.

how can we get the stuff off the old laptop when it wont boot up to anything

U have to pull the hard drive and connect it into a working system. Then u can copy data off of it. We have laptop harddrive->IDE adapters at work that we use. I could get the data off for ya if ya want. I work down in SouthPointe.

it sounds like a problem within windows regristery. Did you try to boot from the last known good configuration? Can you get the exact error message?

If that doesnt help and you have the original windows CD you might want to try to restore. If that doesnt help your most definately going to have to have someone pull the hd in the lappy and burn it to a dvd and reinstall windows.

I tried to start it from the last good config and it was still the same error …my gf hjust wants her pictures and music off the old HD …and her resume thats it

well the easiest way to really be able to get them is if you have a thumb drive… and you can go to another computer… download a program called Bart PE. RUn it on your computer and burn what it wants to burn on your computer.

Next, bring that cd the laptop and plug the thub drive in it. Bart PE will run and you can copy all the files she wants to the thumb drive. Then restore windows.

Jesus H…worst comes to worst, have someone knowledgeable boot it with some Linux live CD (like Knoppix) and pull your shit off of it. Then go ahead and reinstall Windows. This is assuming you can’t just fix it with normal Windows troubleshooting. You guys are nuts with the “need to pull the HD and mount it on a working system” stuff.

I could do this for you, but quite honestly I’m not motivated. If your looking for a good, top notch, tech (guy worked field tech for Dell and HP for years, now is a fellow network security guy- still does computer repair for a small fee) PM me and I’ll send you his info.

just rerun the windows setup and choose repair. it will not delete any files and will let the pc at least boot up. it’s not the end of the world and it’s an easy 20 minute fix.

I came here to say this, this works 9 times out of 10 for BSOD startup issues.

actually…it sounds like a corrupt boot file…run windows setup cd and run repair as someone else had mentioned.

call geek squad this is a very very very serious problem with your crontab!

tried the repair and it starts it gets about halfway then stops and to exit the repair is the only option …any other ideas ???