Data recovery on flash drive

One of my executives managed to delete a file on his flash drive that was pretty important and asked how it can be recovered. I have something called EasyRecovery Pro but being that this file is so important to him, I’d rather have a data recovery service/expert do it. Anyone have any suggestions?

crazyjon/locutus :tup:

can you even get deleted files from flash memory?

Yes

I didn’t think it was possible, I will have learned something today if this gets recovered.

Step one, STOP USING IT.

When you delete a file it isn’t really deleted. All that happens is the pointer in the file allocation table is changed so the space where the file resides is now considered free space. Copy new stuff to the device and more old files get overwritten with new data.

I’ve used this with great results when people in the office delete something from their flash drives by accident:
http://www.officerecovery.com/freeundelete/

It’s simple to use and works fine if they stopped using the device right after deleting the files. If they’ve been copying stuff to and from the device for a while and then decide they need some deleted files back it gets much more complicated. Not impossible, but generally not something you’ll get done for free.

www.drivesavers.com
^That’s where we send customers when they REALLY fuck up their data. Not cheap at all.

As soon as he told me about it, I told him to unplug the drive and not to use it. I’m pretty sure that was soon after the file was deleted. I’ll try the freeundelete software on Monday. I’ll let you guys know if it works. Thanks for the input.