Computer Help

Alright, I have a Smartdisk Firelite External Drive that has about 55GB of Data on it.

Something has happened to this drive and when I look at it in Computer Management is shows the drive as “Unallocated”

I understand that I need to format the drive in order to have it allocated but is there a way to do it and still preserve the data on the drive?

Any help would be mucho appreciated.

It may be corrupt and the only way to recover it might be to take it to a data recovery place.

Does the drive actually shop up in windows? Or when you plug it in you receive an error?

Format= total destruction, BUT there is a last resort, if taking it in to a recovery place does NOT work, there is a program called “get data back for NTFS” and once you re-format the drive you run this program, it looks at all the old files that were deleted and recovers what it can, which in most cases is what you need anyways. It then lets you sift through the files and copy what you want to the new drive. (btw if you do take the drive in first ask how they go about fixing it, in some cases you can run this program and that’s all they will do.)

Dan,

Was the drive removed properly before it crapped out (unmounted, safely add/remove blah blah)? Is the drive making any weird or unusual noises? Does it mount (recognized by windows as a drive and assigned a drive letter)? What were you doing when it started doing this?

Maurice Manslow - Maybe he has bad sectors. Maybe he has a corrupted partiton table. Maybe the drive just plain took a shit and the hardware is toast… Don’t tell him to format just yet.

there is a program called “get data back for NTFS” and once you re-format the drive you run this program, it looks at all …

If you need the data back Dano give me a call.

[QUOTE=Maurice_Manslow;283654]BUT there is a last resort

He only suggested as A LAST RESORT, if there are no other options… I have used similar programs before when there were no other options due to money issues and what not. But recorvery has many methods.

did you lose all your pzorno danno?

Give it to Hurricane, he has lackies that can do the work…