Need Help With a Car Paint Situation!!!

post pics, i wanna see what your talking about.

pics of the whole car, and then close ups of the surface of the paint.

Exactly what Dirty said; thus the reason I don’t paint my own stuff and just send it over to my Brother… After 25 years in the auto-body business he knows exactly what needs to be done for what effects, and it always comes out perfect. Not to mention having things done in a booth and baked-out sure makes it easier.

Well to my knowledge, the process was done right. But who knows since everyone has their own opinion as to how to paint a car.

No the car is not wet sanded and buffed yet. Which is probally the reason for the weird color, but I don’t know, I thought it just brings out the shine.

More then likely its gonna stay this color for awhile so hopefully wetsanding and buffing will solve the problem so I don’t have to worry about it.

everybody doesnt have their own opionion on how to paint a car. theres a right way and a wrong way. you did it the wrong way so you came here looking for opinions on what you did wrong. nobody is mocking you for havin a go at it. and you say to your knowledge the process was done right, how much knowledge do you have? tell us the “process” you used and maybe we can kinda guide you a little better.

Everyone has there own spraying techniques but there is only one way to paint a car.

Wetsand and buff then let us know where your at.

I’m not even mad, lol, don’t know why your assuming that.

From what I remember my process was…

-2 coats primer sanding each one to smooth it out
-Like 3 coats of base flat blue
-3 coats of clear with pearl mixed in

I honestly think the its the pearl that lighted my base because my friend painted some interior pieces black with automotive paint and when he put his clear on with pearl. It turned it purple.

It’s not going to get wet sanded and buffed til the end of march. So I’ll see what happens then.

sounds to me like its the pearl thats screwing you up.

What color pearl did u mix into the clear? If it was a white pearl, then that explains the color change of the base coat, but not the “dullness” of the clearcoating.

A Blue car with a white or silver pearl wil lighten in color; just by the nature of pearl; Thus pearls work best on Black or White cars when using odd-ball pearls. If you are using a colored pearl onto color (Green on Blue or etc) then there will some color shift of the base color due to the pearl as well; but no real lightening effect of a white pearl.

Bottom line is this, Pearl does shift color pretty much no matter what; thus some of what you are seeing is expected, some I believe is an issue with the clear and harderner/reducer.

does your friend work in collision repair. if so i extremly doubt he paints because after u paint u wet sand and buff otherewise u will have a dull finish or a very blotchy finish look at jdmr2. his mr2 looked hot from far away u got closed the paint looked horrible. the car was never wet sanded and buffed. i know the importance of this step and i am a grease monkey and give a shit about looks.

Yea is was a silver pearl. So yea I believe that is why the paint became lighter.

The car will be wet sanded and buffed eventually im definately doing it.

Hmm. Were doing tri coats right now. The process goes 2-3 coats of primer surfacer. Wet sand with 400 and 600 till smooth and no shiny spots. Apply 2-3 coats of basecoat, or until coverage. Apply 2-3 coats of your peral(midcoat). Finally apply 2-3 coats of clear. Then wet sand with 1500 then 2000 then buff, polish and wax. I have no idea why you would mix peral in with the clear.

^^^ pearl or metallic thats in a color coat will take on the color its mixed with

pearl or metallic thats in clear isnt effected by the color, and therfore looks different in the light

ive seen cars where all the pearl is in the clear, and in some cases it looks like crap, others it looks pretty cool

Thanks for the info, didn’t know that…Damn teachers didn’t explain that.

^^^ thats one of the reasons that they sometimes use tricoat’s for pearl, the pearl is in the translucent midcoat, giving more of an effect while using less actual pearl additive,

if all the pear was in a solid base color it might take as much as 6 times the pearl to get the same effect, and it wouldnt look nearly as “deep” in the process

on oh yea, for a realy deep black, you can add a load of blue into the black base, you wont be able to see a blue tint to the paint, but on a clear day it looks fucking baller, i think it has something to do w/ the blue sky reflecting of the blue pigment

my ex-buddy brian had a TON of blue in his black paint, and the paint looked a foot deep in the sunlight

So I was suppose to add the pearl to the last coat of base not the clear??? WTF I’m had 3 people tell me to put it in the clear.

So if pearl in the clearcoat changes effects the color. Why wouldn’t it be a good idea to spray a new clear with a dark metalic in it, then spray another coat of clear with noting in it???

Different effects if you put it into the base or clear; you can mix it with either depending on the effect you want.

Side note: the shocks on my brothers lifted truck we painted pure white, then a layer of blue pearl into clear, then clear; Fucking awesome looking seeing the truck and the pearl on the shocks are almost the same color.