Need laptop support

The last week I rebooted my laptop using the reboot disks for various reasons. Through my job I had a cheap option to upgrade from XP to windows 7. A couple days ago I started to get faint blue vertical lines in the background of the desk top, any pages or applications I had running. They would last any lenght of time from 30 seconds to 15 minutes. Now when I turn the laptop on I can here it load and get to the windows desktop. The lcd screen is on as its lit up but no screen info is on. It seems like a video card issue. The laptop is a 2008 Dell Latitude D630. Anyone know someone who might be able to fix this.

What video option does the laptop have? The base came with standard onboard, but you could also select a dedicated graphics card at the time of purchase (2 different motherboards, actually) and the one graphics card on the latter is actually replaceable. It might also be the LCD or ribbon cable.

Press around on the screen as well around all the edges, and gently on the screen itself towards the center on the top side maybe 2 inches down from the bezel, also try pressing firmly on the plastic above the keyboard.

If its a cable issue sometimes pressing will cause the issue to go away/get worse and tell you that it maybe a cable issue/loose connection.

As stated could be the screen itself.

If your machine is the one with a dedicated graphics card, chances are buying a new laptop may be the better option, unfortunately in my experience they seem somewhat difficult to source, and when I have found them they’re quite expensive ~$250

JVG if you would like to bring it to my shop this week in Clifton Park, I’ll take a look at it and see whats going on. PM me if you’d like.

Ill prolly have to bring it to you. Id like to see if its fixable it wasnt a cheap laptop when I got it.

Yeah definitely, let me know be more than happy to look at it.

Hey Shady where is your shop located?

1471 Route 9 in Clifton park

I have a D630 myself. Haven’t seen to many with non-onboard video cards. My guess it’s your video card, but that’s just me.

yeah video car is prolly going bad… which is the motherboard. its new mobo time. they are cake to replace, i can do them in 7 minutes! just find another on on ebay.

hope u guys got it covered in here!

bunch of computer geniuses up in this thread!

haha me too.

I love working on Dells. They make everything so easy. HP and SONY are like 219234^3 screws.

I get the most practice on Dell’s due to their stellar track record. I actually still use a Vostro 1500 and it works great… the hinges are snapped and the wireless card shit the bed, but it’s still a tank. I paid $499 nearly 3 years ago with a dedicated nvidia 8600m GT graphics card, so I can’t complain.

Yes, we are all computer geniuses. This thread is about to explode, actually.

my hinges are broken on my laptop and its about to shit the bed. but for what my parents paid for graduation at the time, i cant beat it. it is in need of being cleaned out and upgraded bad, but i really want to upgrade to something newer and smaller pref (14.3 inch screen) so i cant justify paying xx.xx dollars to pay for repairs when i could put that towards a new lap top…

hahaha truth ! as soon i posted in here at least

:rofl

byeee

I have had zero time this week to even take my messed up laptop of my coffee table but what kind of software would I have to reinstall if I had to replace the motherboard its all stored on the hard drive which is separate, correct

Nothing, unless theres an updated mobo or a mobo with differant integrated hardware, should be able to replace and boot up just liek normal

If not, some drivers may need to be reinstalled but thats about it

What Shady said. If you got the same mobo, nothing. You MIGHT have to reactive windows (sometimes it gives you a message saying since the last time you activated the hardware has changed significantly) but that’s rare. If you get a board that was slightly redesigned, then most likely drivers. Easy task(s).