Need Nerd help

My neediness is severely lacking and I acquiesce that I need help.

What I need to do: I have several gigs of pictures and videos I’ve collected from my military tours. I want to host them all somewhere with login and password access for army buddies and family can have access to them.

What is my best way to go about this? Especially with moving that amount of information around.

I have FiOS and thought about buying and setting up a server and hosting from home. Is that even worth it?

Help

How many gigs?

You could setup a drop box account and store them there and delegate people access

Additionally google and Flickr allow you delegate access, obvisously said people would need a dropbox, google or flickr accounts.

---------- Post added at 03:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:01 PM ----------

I would shy away from self internet hosted options, if you get caught they don’t look too kindly upon that, plus they may block port 80 inbound to you. If your load is not too excessive you can get a Amazon EC2 free usage tier. http://aws.amazon.com/free/

Setup a Linux Micro Instance (or windows) and setup one of the plethora of Gallery type webapp’s out there

About 11 gigs … Dropbox looks like it could work.

Amazon ec2 is losing me with it’s wording. I’ve gotten way more nerd dumb than I thought.

If nothing else works out I will probably be throwing up another coloed server shortly.

I use flickr because that’s what I started with and I don’t feel like moving everything now. It’s like $20/year for unlimited bandwidth and file sizes. Anything I want private I can set that way, but it forces your friends to sign up for a free flickr account. You then add them to either a friends or family group and can set pictures private to those groups.

If I were starting over today I’d look at a pro account on Google’s Picasa. A friend here at work went with Picasa and it just seems easier to manage, plus 90% of the world has a gmail account now so it makes the whole private sharing thing easier. In fact one of these days I’ll probably get off my ass and migrate over to Picasa.

As for uploading it’s really not a big deal if you have a decent connection (and Fios is awesome for uploading). The big photo hosting sites have apps and you can do huge batch uploads that way.

picasa is great. the software and web interface are both great, very easy access control. the photos will upload overnight, wouldn’t worry about that. fuck trying to host them yourself these days.

---------- Post added at 03:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:42 PM ----------

I use drop box a lot, I don’t really think its what you want, not for picture sharing. Its like using a wrench as a hammer, itll work, but really isn’t the best.

Yea I would definitely go one of the other routes mentioned

Flickr allows like 500MB a month I think with their free account. Get a Pro membership for like $30 a year and upload everything. I bought it and uploaded ever picture I owned.

Picasa here.

Vimeo is great for vids and you can PW protect stuff. No need for viewers to be a member.

When picasa first got started up they were compressing photos highly and they ended up looking like crap. I dont know if that’s still true, but the image quality on flickr blew it away, so my opinion is to go with that for pics.