NEED SATA HELP ASAP

so my comp keep crashing so i bought a seagate 80gig SATA HD so i can just run the programs/windows on that then have my two IDE HD’s as space for files.

so i only have the sata hooked up, so the mobo wont see the windows on the IDE

im trying to install windows on the SATA, but it says “disk does not contain a windows xp-compatible partition”

so i go back and press “C” then i get a partition then i try to install windows on it and i get:“the unpartitioned space you selected is too small for windows xp, select a partition or unpartitioned space of at least 973MB” but if i do that i get the same message as above, its a crazy cycle i tell ya.

maybe its seeing a hpa and gettingf confusted…

disconect the ide and only have the sata on there… make sure in the BOIS its configured to use the sata. format the sata in ntfs… make sure you do a full one and not a quick one.

:gotme:

i did, i unhooked the IDE’s

i wish i was closer to you… i wonder if their is something wrong with the drive… mayeb its you sata wire…

do you see any other partitions when you go to format it? i assume you are using the windows cd to format the sata right?

change the SATA options in the bios, make sure its set to ide/sata

windows will then see both of the drives

i think i know whats wrong, i need to install a third party driver for the sata, but i dont have it and i cant fine it on asus’s website, all i see is updated BIOS downloads

look for the motherboard you have

then look at the drivers it has listed there

I restored my defult settings and now it sees my SATA drive

and now i can install XP :slight_smile:

yeah most of the newer boards seem to natively support sata now. that wasnt the case a year or two ago.

new problems

the hardrive is showing up as local disck (E) as a removable drive, not as the C drive

how to fix?

that problem is fixed, now i have all three harddrives hooked up

one SATA and two IDE’s, in the BIOS screen it shows all the HD’s but in windows explorer i cant see the IDE Slave HD

what gives??

this is also the HD that had windows on it before, is the hd fucked??