Stumped v. IDE to SATA Adapter

So my parents pc I just upgrading them with only has SATA ports on the board. They have a HDD from their old pc which is a IDE. I picked up one of the IDE/SATA adapters from amazon. When I connect everything and plug it into a SATA port the pc hangs on the load screen. Unplug it and it boots normally. I’ve tried master, slave and C/O and the results are all the same. BIOS shows that the SATA ports are enabled so I see no issue on the board side. From the searching I have done I have noticed a pattern with these adapters, that it’s almost a crapshoot with them. Figured i’d see if anybody has a answer that i’m somehow overlooking.

No weird HD settings in the bios?

No nothing wacky or out of the ordinary. I know the HDD is good as I can boot off of it in my spare PC. So i’m assuming the issue lies with the adapter. Just trying to see if I am overlooking anything. Because I can’t see how the adapter wouldn’t work.

Are you sure the adapter isn’t just for plugging a sata drives into a computer that only supports ide, and not the other way around?

Sometimes there are weird SATA speed setting that won’t work with adapters it been a long time since i messed with an issue like this

Try googling the issue with the motherboard or bios

Take the jumper off and try the adapter that way. Can you post a link of the adapter? I use to have a abit one and it would only work with the jumper off.

x2

Its actually a SATA to IDE and a IDE to SATA. It has clearly marked ports for which to use.

http://www.amazon.com/IDE-SATA-Adapter/dp/B000RK89M4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1362339718&sr=8-1&keywords=ide+to+sata

The only difference is the one we got is a red board not black. As for removing the jumper all together. Gotta be honest I didnt try that. I’ll give that a shot and see what happens.

Are you supplying power to both the adapter with a old school floppy 4 pin plug? And obvs your supplying power to the hdd.

Yes the 4pin molex to the HDD as well as the smaller one to the adapter board. I’m gonna head over to their place now and try it without the jumper. Worth a shot.

Lmk, also what kind of hard drive is it? The Sata cable could be damaged swap it out also for a new one.

1st the HDD is a 160GB Seagate 'Cuda. Ok i pulled the jumper and still nothing. So I tried unplugging the DVD drives SATA connector and using that port for the HDD. Now the PC boots up no problem, however the HDD is not being picked up in the BIOS. Reconnected the DVD drive with the adapters cable and it works. So a faulty cable/port is not the issue. Its just plain not picking up the HDD.

Hmmm I’d have to look at it sounds like its just not compatible with that drive. One thing im going to lean towards is its probably Sata 1 so the board could be Sata 2 or 3 and it just won’t revert or pic up the drive, save the aggervation and get a Sata drive. What board you using?

CHange the drive settings in the BIOS from IDE to AHCI or vise versa?

I need to get all his pictures off the HDD that is the issue. As for the board, i’ll have to check.

I though about that as well as its currently at AHCI, but my understanding on the main diff between the 2 was that AHCI made it easy to hot plug things. Maybe when I head back over tomorrow i’ll give that a try.

Prog I forgot about that, try that too, put the hdd in your computer as a slave and get the pics off boom done!

it would make sense that it has to be in ide mode for an ide adapter to work. ahci is much more than just hot swapping.

I fully understand that it is more than just hot swapping. But everywhere that I have read online says that the adapters “should” work in both ide and ahci mode. That is why I did not attempt it. I will however do it tomorrow.

If all else fails buy a SATA drive (They’re cheap) and one of these Adapter kits to transfer the data. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812232002

I have one similar to that and it has worked for me on past hard drives. If you want to borrow it let me know, send me a pm with contact info, etc.

Also, I still have an older computer at my parents kicking around that has IDE, so if the adapters aren’t working we could use that to transfer files off.