Need some HDD help, Singh maybe?

I have a 2.5 HDD from an old laptop, that I need the data off of. I have it hooked to my sata/ide to usb adapter. As soon as I hook it to my computer, it says driver installed. Ok, fine, but if I open explorer it dosent show the drive, and then dosent respond, unless I uplug the drive. I assume this is because there is still an OS on the drive. I even tried opening it with a drive partition program, but it dosent see it. So how can I hook it up with out it freezing everything?

Try unplugging the computer and placing it under a foot of water for about an hour.

The adapter might be bad or incompatible… I’ve seen this happen before.

Are you running XP/Vista?

Also if its not the adapter the hard drive may be bad…

Depending on iff its SATA or IDE just go buy the correct enclosure for it and see if that works

I dont know if your trying to be funny, or piss me off… you have succeeded neither.

No the adapter is good. I have 2, and the first wouldnt spin the drive up. I have Vista. I am going to try and find the correct driver tomorrow, but every where says Vista dosent need drivers… Which I know, but its worth a try anyways. Dont really want to buy an enclosure, as I am doing this for a friend. The HDD does click as it first spins up, so it maybe bad…

Hard drive enclosures are so cheap now adays dude…

But anyways some older drives click on start up as the arm first moves when the HDD start spinning. Does it click constantly as long as there is power to it?

and you shouldent need any drivers at all for windows or XP… it should just recognize it as a hard drive