External HDD enclosure help

I just purchased an external HDD case for a 300gb disk I had laying around (PATA) since I don’t have the extra IDE channel to use it in the actual machine.

I got it installed ok and had left the jumper on Cable Select and plugged it in. It showed my old C: partition ok but that was about it. I tried looking through the folders and it worked for like 2 of them, then started to get fairly loud and crashed vista (it actually shut down the machine).

I looked through the user manual and it said to leave it on master… fair enough. I changed the jumper to master and sure enough it runs much quieter and the blue LED/button on the front of the enclosure is lit up.

unfortunitly though, windows tried installing the generic USB mass storage device driver and it failed. It’s showing up in device manager with a

This device cannot start. (code 10)
I tried updating the driver with the same results and even tried deleting the “hardware” through device manager so to try reinstalling the driver. So I said hell with it, after fucking with it for 2 hours, and left it alone for a week or so.

Yesterday, a friend of mine gave me a 120GB maxtor HDD that was in his PS2 and figured I’d try that one. I set it to Master and sure as shit, showed up fine (I had to use the disk management tool in vista to assign a volume to it) but then started making the click of death. Figured the drive was just shot and tried my WD HDD and I’m still having problems with it.

Anyone have an idea to get this pos working? I should also note, when the drive is set to CS and try deleting the c: volume, and creating a new one from scratch, it shows ONLY about 3gb for free room, out of 330 or so which is just odd, but it’s also not showing the other 2 partitions either.

Is it the 3 partitions on the disk that are screwing with it? I would of assumed that windows wouldn’t care either way, but maybe the controller in the enclosure doesn’t like it? I’m stumped since it says not to use CS and of course there are no drivers for the device (it says that windows default drivers will do it fine)

how do the drives do attached to an ide cable in the computer?

That would isolate the enclosure from not giving the drive enough voltage to run right.

there are 2 dvd drives attached to the IDE channel.

this drive is an IDE, but the enclosure uses USB (plus a power adapter)

bump

yeah yank one of the dvd drives out of there, and just test if the drive works by plugging directly into the ide chain.

This way you can tell if the drive is bad or if the power supply for the usb external drive is bad.

thanks J, I’ll give that a shot :tspry: