computer problem

specs

P4 1.6(new MB)
740 mb DDR(new)
40 gig drive(new)
ATI 9700

just put a new drive in it because i thought my other one was shot

fresh install of windows, after about 3 times being booted up i get a message when bios screen is loading

“no 80 pin IDE connector detected on second IDE channel”

it boots up, gets to windows and restarts

then i get, just after bios screen

windows/system/config cannot be found

could it just be my IDE cables? i dont see how it would mess up windows if its just the second IDE channel(extra HD and cdrom)

the first IDE channel is just my boot drive

any ideas?

I have tried this with 2 different harddrives, a few different IDE cables and an ati 9200 just incase, all giving me the same thing after 2-3 times booting up

IDE controller on the MB is bad? Do you have a different motherboard available to test with.

I dont unfortunatly, i hope its not though, i just bought it a couple months ago

is there any way to actually test to see if thats the problem? any programs out there?

chris, did you check to see if the mobo manufacturer has any firmware/bios updates? Probably a long shot though. Do you have an old PCI IDE controller card to try? I may have one in one of those old boxes I got from work when they were junking them. Too bad it’s intel, we could of tried it in my box to see if it gave the same problems

yea i think i do have a PCI IDE controller somewhere, i’d have to find it though

can you run your windows drive on the PCI controller? not sure if it will boot to that or not?

hmmm, I’m not sure… I’ve never actually used one :\ (or atleast not within the past 8 years :P)

I guess it might be worth a try

eh i’ll give it a shot, but i’m pretty sure i have to get the drivers installed before it will work at all

i think last time i used it i just had one of my extra drives on it

well no one has suggested this yet, but if you havent checked them you may have a problem with the jumpers on the drives.

I dont know the make of the drives but WD and seagate have different settings for jumpers. I’d take a look at the configuration of the HD’s and the ROM. Try putting the two HDs in without the ROM drive, then check in the BIOS to make sure that they are detected properly. Put the ROM back in the check the BIOS again.

Barring that, try the drive in someone elses machine to make sure the drive itself isnt DOA.

well i know the drive both work

i had the computer running perfectly stable for a few hours last night before i went to bed

could access either of the drives just fine without any problems

on the first ide channel i have a WD(brand New) 40 gig drive set to CS

second channel: cdrom set to master and a WD 40 gig set to slave

i dont think it would have read the drives fine if my jumpers were messed up

the bios detects the drives perfect, the first one as master IDE channel 1

and the other two decect in bios also, cdrom as master, Hd as slave

I can throw the drives in any of my computers, they work just fine, have no problems with them

i mean the one that is the boot drive right now I just bought yesterday lol

sounds like the mobo might be broken :\

edit:

on the first ide channel i have a WD(brand New) 40 gig drive set to CS

second channel: cdrom set to master and a WD 40 gig set to slave

just curious as to why it’s setup like that… I always throw my HDD’s on the first IDE, and cd/dvd-roms on the secondary. Should I have set it up like that? You know more about that kind of stuff than I

Try messing with the Jumpers.

Set the 40gb WD to master and run the 2nd HDD in slave.

Run the CDROM on the secondary IDE channel all by itself.

Check your bios settings to make sure they match your jumper settings also.

yea i have the bios set to autodecect drives and it seems to be(or lists the drive anyway)

i’ll try both the HD’s on the same channel, but usually with any of my gaming comps i run windows drive alone on one IDE and the drive with the games on the second IDE

steve come over today and give me a hand, one more brain never hurts lol

and keep me from taking the bat to it :slight_smile:

werd :tup: what time should I call ya? I’m ready to go today… then once we break… errr, fix it, we’ll go get drunk :stuck_out_tongue:

lol sounds good to me, i’ll be home about 10 after 6 at the latest

make sure you don’t have ide disabled in bios or something weird like that.

Other than that, reset the cmos, and put the ide drive on master on chain one.

Get a copy of ultimate boot disc, and run the ibm drive fitness test, see if it can see the drive.

If it cant see it, you have a connectivity problem (bad mobo most likely, or bad drive)

You should have your hard drives on the same ide cable, and your cdroms on a seperate one… Try setting all drives to CS…

IDE is enabled in bios, i checked that already

i’ll try resetting cmos again, but last time i had this prob i reset a few times with no luck

slaps in the back of the head

NO! cd rom by itself.

do this…

cdrom only on both channels see what gets recognized… if both channels can see the drive there is a really good chance they work… if they both work, leave the cdrom on one of the channels its really not important, which one its on.

plug in the main system harddrive to the cable… the first in line (i think thats the master slot if they are both cable select) boot it up see if the drive is recognized. if so good. stick the other drive on the end of the ribbon cable.

and it should all be kosher…

also you can boot off a pci IDE

but do the cdrom test to see if the channels are good

god i hate IDE soo much … i’m soo glad i’m all sata… IDE is nothing but slow bullshit

Might run into some problems there, I learned the hard way while trying to fix my dual boot issues that, on newer IDE cables there is a specific plug for Master/Slave.

On older cables you could plug either drive with either plug, it was the jumpers that mattered. Now though, the cables are built with job specific plugs, that is, the Master plug, will not work in the Slave drive and vice-versa.

/.02

thats kind of what i was trying to imply… my engrish skills are no so good