Computer is broken again ...

My computer is down again :meh: I went to test an old hard drive in my computer and the computer booted up once fine, but never recognized the drive. So I restated the computer and I got the error “DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER.” So I put the new drive back in and reset the bios and it made it through the bootup process and then shut down before starting windows. Now ever time I start the computer it either starts up for a sec and then shuts down and beeps a ton or freezes during the bootup process. It also keeps resetting the cmos setting to default and when I change them and goto save and exit, the computer automatically shuts down and beeps again.

The computer was working fine before I swapped the drive into it, so I don’t know what I managed to screw up when I tinkered with it. Any ideas?

P.S. I’m thinking about building a new computer since this one is 4 years old, but only have about $500-800 to spend. I already have 2 sata dvd drives, so I don’t need those. Basically everything else so I’m open to ideas on this too…

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated. TIA.

Well, techbargains.com

You can get a real nice quad core machine with a 24 inch monitor for around 800 bucks if you watch around.

When you said you swapped the hard drive, did you swap out of another machine?

What is on the hard drive?

Make sure you can see the drive in BIOS…

If you are getting beep codes, look them up on the internet, it will tell you what the issue is.

Check the master slave configuration between the 2 drives. Your windows drive should be set as master and the drive you are checking out needs to be set as slave or cable select(cs). Hope it helps you out.

Cut all power to pc. Open case, remove RAM and MOBO battery. REinstall and book pc to BIOs.

Check the Sata configuration in the bios and make sure the sata hd detection is set to combination mode.

Save/Exit

See if it loads windows.