Help me Figure this Oot

So last night I’m playing some Source, and finish up. Search the forums, come across the NSFW “Girls Taking their Own Pictures” Thread and peruse, hit up some other link in there and mosey through that site as well. Well, my computer starts to bog down as it did about a month ago when the HD decided it didn’t want to live anymore. It bogged, then froze in the exact same fashion. So I restart, and the computer refuses to boot with a message saying along the lines of “Please select boot device or insert Bootable Media” in a dos-ish looking screen. My mind keeps saying HD, but its brand new… Anywho, I let the comp sit for a bit thinking I may have just beat the crap out of it with some intense gaming, and sure enough it boots up after a while, gets to the Windows Login screen, freezes in the same fashion as before, then reboots.

I have an AMD 4400+, Asus A8R32 Mobo, running Windows x64, 80GB WD HD. Am I right thinking its the HD again? If it is, the computer was less than 6 months old when the HD died the first time, had to RMA it through Newegg, cost me another 40 bucks to RMA, then a month later its dead. The reason I am thinking it may not be the HD is because it booted twice since the first time it froze, but I am not sure. When I go into BIOS it doesn’t recognize that there is an HD there, which can be seen by the message about selecting the boot device.

Big :frowning: as I need a PC, especially during the semester with UB going to Blackboard for all their supplements to lectures. Any and all help is desperately needed and appreciated.

I’d say try running drive diagnostics on it to see if you are getting read errors. At that point if that comes up clean run some memory diagnostics on it. It’s going to most likely be one or the other. Granted other things could be the issue but those are typically the most common failure points. That would cause boot issues.

It is possible that you have a bad/mobo processor…happened to my parents computer recently…replace both and everything worked fine.

+1

its pretty much all you can do.

yeah, unlikely that the drive is dead

is it a sata or eide drive?

sounds like either a IDE channel is dead, try switching the ribbon cable to another channel, or if its sata, you might have to redo the whole sata setup (the thing kind of in the bios, but its its own thing, but i don;t knwo the name for it)

How hot does it get in your case?

my thoughts too on the first crash… seems like it caused something to die :frowning:

thats what i was thinking

Devin stopped by and ran some diagnostics and crap. Its running fine now, I don’t understand it. He changed the plug in the drive itself and changed it on the mobo… said it felt kind of loose on the drive itself. :gotme: If its something as dumb as me plugging it in like a mangina, I should end myself :frowning:

Still working for you?