Last Thread - Recovering Data from Funky Drive

Long story short - read the other threads.

I have a HD that is not being recgonized by windows. It is a Segate 250GB SATA drive. When hooked up to the mobo during startup, it hangs the system. I put it in an external enclosure and hook it up to the computer via USB and it finds the new device. It tries to “install” it but never gets anywhere.

If I go to “remove hardware” in Windows, it even gives me the option to select it by the right name. It just never shows up with files, and Windows always acts like it is trying to pnp install it.

Suggestions?

edit - It shows up in my device manager as “ST325082 3AS USB Device”. The system drive (same model) shows up abelow it as “ST325082 3AS”

Unplug, send to Locutus?

i can get data off, no problems.

GetDataBack is a great program. comes in handy a lot and definately worth the purchase :tup:

The BIOS sees it though, right?

You could try the freezer trick, it sounds like it might be a board problem.

Put the drive in a tupperware container, put in freezer overnight. Next day, take it out of the freezer, plug it in, and see if you can get anything off of it. One of my two most recent drive failures worked long enough for me to see that I didn’t need anything off of it, the other did not.

It isn’t clicking or anything.

Tried a few of the common software suggestions…

The thing I’m confused about is that the omputer sees the drive (in the BIOS, and when its hooked up in the USB enclosure). It just seems like it doesn’t know what to do with it. None of the data recovery software is able to find it when hooked up in the enclosure via USB.

While not “clicking” like a dead HD, I can hear it spin up and every once in a while feel more of a soft “thud” than a click.

Send To Locutus

Depending on how much the data is worth:
http://www.drivesavers.com/

When clients royally fuck up their systems and backups we send them there. Not cheap, but I’ve seen them recover data from completely dead hard drives, even ones with physical damage.

I dont have a pm yet.

ftw