Stumped v. IDE to SATA Adapter

Is there a jumper block to slow the bus speed down? I’ve faced that before a few times. Other than that BIOS setting or just incompatible (unlikely IMO).

Changing from AHCI to IDE did nothing but cause a endless restart loop. Which is one of the things that steered me away from trying it in the first place.

Are you trying to boot from this drive? It already has an operating system on it? was it installed on another computer?

Not trying to boot from it. Yes Win Vista. Yes it was. The fact that it has another OS and was from another pc shouldnt have any bearing on the situation. Hell I have Win7(fresh) and WinXP(old HP prebuilt) loaded on drives on my current rig for dual boot situations that I used to need.

Usually you want to have a fresh install, your taking a risk of it to blue screening and causing issues. But what I’m gathering its not picking the hdd up in the bios so it won’t even get to the point where it would boost. I still say just get a Sata hdd or bring the computer over here and ill look at it.

If it’s trying to boot an OS that was installed on a different chipset it will bluescreen on boot.

Just dump the files to fat32 to strip permissions (assuming it was NTFS to start) then back onto an NTFS sata drive and be done with EIDE and the adapter?

Yes it will but sometimes vista or 7 will try and find the drivers

Thing is it doesn’t blue screen on boot. I get the regular launch screen from his main HDD that you would always get. But with the other HDD plugged in it hangs on that screen. Won’t even let me enter BIOS. At this point I have all his old shit I can just throw it back together with some wires and transfer what he wants to a flash drive. That would take me less time to mess with at this point.