New Computer, Got Questions

alright, I picked up a new XPS 430 tonight.

love it so far, insanely fast… vista is gonna take some time getting used to
I gotta set alot of shit up and swap a few things over.

1. I have a Pioneer Lightscribe DVD-RW drive. I’ve already set it in the new computer. but on the back of this drive there is an EIDE plug. but the new computer uses a SATA ( I think) its def nothing like EIDE, the new one is slim and small connector.

What would I have to use to make this drive work in the new computer? Im sure there is an adapter or something along those lines. do they make something like this?

Slim and Small is SATA for sure.

There should still be two EIDE connectors on the motherboard. The 1st IDE connector is for hard drives. The second one is for optical drives and the ribbon cable should have two connectors. One for Master at the end (CD/DVD) and Slave about 70% down the cable (Burner)

http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/catalog/images/44-way-male-female-female-ide.jpg

from what it looks like there is only 1 EIDE slot on the motherboard. it goes straight from the board to the front of the computer ( there are a bunch of media card slots.)

would something like this work?
http://c1.neweggimages.com/NeweggImage/productimage/12-206-002-05.jpg

Can Attaches to any type of ATAPI, ATA/133/100/66/33, EIDE and IDE storage devices (DVD, DVD-RAM, MO, CD-ROM, CD-RW, Hard Disk, ….)
Mini Board size (59mm x 25mm), No space wasted
Compliant with Serial ATA 1.0a specifications and High transfer rate of 1.5Gbps
Supports Spread Spectrum in receiver
Compliant with ATA specifications
Compatible with Ultra ATA 133
Automatically decode the ATAPI command to know the UDMA direction.
100% hardware bridge converter board to support PC, MAC and Linux environment
RC-204 allows you change an ATA cable to a SATA one that increases the air flow in PC

Yea that would work if absolutely neccessary… follow the existing ribbon cable for the CD Drive… is there another connector for another drive on it?

the existing cable for the dvd-rom/rw that is currently in the machine doesnt have another connector on it, at least i dont think there was. anyways its SATA and it wont plug into my pioneer dvd-rw because that is EIDE.

might have to get a new cable too huh? cuz i want 2 drives.

next I’ll be adding another HDD, wonder how much of a problem that will be lol

I’d say get a ribbon cable that has two IDE plugs on it and set the jumper connector on the Pioneer drive for “slave” and connect it to the 2nd connector on the cable.

For an HDD, just get a SATA drive.

after all of the people on here say that dell sucks, you go and buy a dell and wonder why shit don’t work. Dell uses the cheapest motherboards they can find with most of the connectors not available. If you don’t have an ide connection on the board, then you will have to get an adapter card if you want it to work.

How many sata connectors did it come with. even though dell is shitty, I haven’t seen a board with less than 4 sata connectors in a while. Throw the old burner out and get a new sata drive, they are cheap.

ya I know all that but there seems to be nowhere to put a ribbon cable on this board

I just bought the new pioneer drive like 3 months ago

x2. You are going to spend money on some sort of adapter. Spend a few extra bucks and do it right. DVD burners are dirt cheap.

ya I went out and returned my pioneer EIDE drive… couldnt beleive they let me lol…

I got an LG Lightscribe Sata now

New CD/DVD/Burners that come in pc’s are all SATA. Its faster technologly so they pretty much scrapped EIDE. Also with adding another HD, you can only add as many drives as there are SATA ports. For the hard drive your prob going to have to buy an external USB one. Unless your pc has an SATA port on the back, if it does get an external drive with SATA.

make sure the power supply has enough sata power connectors also. I have seen a few computers with only 2 sata power connectors.

power supply has a shitload of sata connectors…

everything is worked out. Im all used to the EIDE setups. ( stuck in the old days ).
sata is all new to me so I was wondering about master and slave… but figured out on my own you just have to turn on the sata slot in BIOS

Its suprising how far systems have come. All my computers, 6 including the ones at work are Vista. I was messing with my old 98 pc a few days ago and wow. Technologly has came far in the last 10 years…

they sure have. I seen the quad core in this computer and was like … woah…

I thought the pentium 4 was big :bowrofl:

just wait until you get a real computer and not a dell. Things will really seem like they evolved.
:smiley:

well like I said, I dont do alot of PC gaming besides warcraft 3 and i’ll be getting starcraft 2.
I mainly use the computer for browsing, downloading, and dvd burning. so this works perfectly for me right now. I’ve deleted all that dell installed bullshit and stuff

I really want a i7 setup to replace my core 2 duo…

I was thinking about an i7 but was told that I wouldnt really notice a huge difference unless I was gaming. core 2 duo works great for me and is 200x faster then my old computer. I just play warcraft III on PC and im going to get Starcraft II.

altho I have downloaded left 4 dead and it runs really good on this video card

Actually seeing a i7 machine in operation that IE window appeared like magic after it was clicked!