networking gurus please read

Allright here is the rundown (short question at bottom):

I have a large corporate network; every office on T1 but managed by a server cluster in Texas.

I Installed a small Linux file server on the network in my local office which in turn makes it accessible from any location in the country as long as you are internal or on VPN.

I have a small group of engineers that have there own DSL line in an effort to gain faster connection and bypass some of the security and screening of the internal network. The DSL is in my office and has a small 8 port dlink router that feeds them the connection. They use VPN to log in if they need to open e-mail or any internal software.

They just asked me for external storage, and instead of going and purchasing a NAS for them, I would like to just add a 500GB Drive to my local file server.

So i set them up as a test on one of my personal drives, and copied a file from one of the DSL connected laptops and it takes a horrendous amount of time to upload. I figure this is because it is going:
Local computer>DSL>VPN Through Texas Server>T1>Local Server and then back

Is it possible for me to connect the DLink router to my local network and possibly forward one of the ports on it to my local server without having it pick up the T1 connection and try yo use it?

Well if you plug the Dlink router into your local network its going to try and push out DHCP…

A quick fix would be adding another network card to the file server…then connect that to the dlink…

thats what it thought and was hoping wouldn’t be the case since the server is in the networking closet, and the dlink is in my office, and i don’t have any more wall ports open. now i have to run wires!

Edit: Will linux be ok to recognize the second card? When i was building the server, it asked for two cards only if the computer was going to be the local domain controller

Your upload speed on DSL is probably super slow (128K?)
I agree with FormulaLS1 - just add a card.

There isn’t really another easy way to add multiple gateways on your LAN with out redoing the IP addressing structure.

Sure it is slow, but 7 min. for a 4MB file is absurd. That defeats the purpose of keeping it in the server and not buying them a new NAS.

I will add the card and probably just move everything into the network room to keep me from crawling in the ceiling to pull wires across the entire building

I am still not sure multiple NICs are going to fix your issue…

I am not either now that I think about it… the server is programmed to listen on 10.50.16.10, and if I add a nic to it it and plug in to the dlink it would also have 192.168.2.50 as an accessible IP. I can program it to listen to that, but it may throw samba for a loop when trying to configure the shares!

Ok, the second NIC did work, I transferred a 20Mb file and had 8b come out in my error report, I will have to send a more sensitive file over to see if that will be a problem, but so far so good!! thanks for the help guys!

Intresting

Its routing data properly? If you do a traceroute?

and did you let the 2nd NIC card get a DHCP address?

yes the 2nd nic has dhcp enabled, they both are set in the router to have a preferential IP since using static isn’t an option. It is basically the same difference here.

I haven’t tracert back to it, but the transfer time dropped from 7min to just under 5 sec.

Edit: tracert for original setup, let me go check new setup:

Tracing route to 10.50.16.10 over a maximum of 30 hops

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 10.50.16.10

Trace complete.

same results for ping and tracert. Seems to be working flawlessly. I will try and use bacula to image a PC and see if that comes out corrupted or not later this week. For now however the guys back there are happy and it only took a few minutes of my time!!

You guys should just IM each other : )

Hmm I am still confused as to why it works but oh well :lol:

MOTHER F! It works, and files are not corrupted however:

Network Usage

Device Received Sent Err/Drop
lo 390.64 KB 390.64 KB 0/0
eth0 29.37 MB 27.77 MB 0/0
eth1 59.80 MB 17.85 MB 24634/0
sit0 0.00 KB 0.00 KB 0/0

eth1 is the new adapter!

lol

no no no not lol… I have had a shitty enough day as is!! Our T1 line ripped off the building from that storm (somehow it took an extra day) and I have had outages all damn day! and now i am bleeding from cutting myself on the case of an industrial computer in the warehouse. I just want something to go right!!

Sherm, come fix my server!

Thats a lot of errors lol

Hows the wiring? You could try linking at 10mb full…

the wiring is fine, well maybe not i will go look at it. it is odd that all of the files are perfectly in tact no corruption whatsoever