Network/dsl issue

Bare with me as i am not a comp geek
Ok maybe someone can guide me:
-Had verizon DSL hooked up to a computer
-Had linksys wireless hooked to that

• so had a home pc and 1 wireless lap top, and wii hooked up and worked fine.
    Next- i get new desktop(get rid of old home puter) and run it to linksys via ethernet cable
    now:
    son gets new laptop I cannot hook it up wireless to linksys due to not having 128bit code cause its on the old comp i disposed of.

so i figure i’ll reinstall linksys software to my new desk top- doesnt work cause it wont find internet.

ok so i figure i will start all over. Install veriazon dsl, and linksys to desktop and make new network and go from there,but i cant find install cd for verizon dsl and cannot find drivers for westell 6100 or drivers to run the westech via usb to my desktop on line.
call verizon for new install cd, talk to india they are sending new cd (this was 20 days ago grrr.) call them again today -they will send another out and also give me a link to d/l the software (why not 1st time??) i d/l and still cant get it to work.

I want to hook my sons laptop wireless to my network w/o having the 128webb code can it be done? do i wait for verizon install cd and start over?
Help!!! did any of this make sense?

You don’t need that software for the DSL to work…

You setup all the login information in the DSL router/modem…

umm… duh waaaat???

You can access the router and change the WEP key…the 128 bit code…with out the software…

I forgot how old you are Pauly I will type slower…:lol:

:massmoon:

but thank you. How do i access the router?

i need an old guy with a cane beating up a youngin smile.
beer to the first that finds one

Is the router installed on the new pc? if so, do as the others say and change the security settings and network key, in both your laptops wifi connection and the pc/router itself… what OS on the laptop–>vista?

router is not installed on desktop
desktop is running xp
two laptops are running vista

I thought this is what camaroJoe was for???

Pauly…the linksys you are referring to is it a wireless access point or router?

I thought the Verizon residential DSL modem/routers had wireless built into them…

it is a wireless router wrt54G
I’m pretty sure the dsl modem is not wireless its a few years old its a westell 6100. Maybe i can get a new one from verizon w/wireless built in?

DSL Modem -> Ethernet -> WAN Port on LinkSys

is that how you have it setup?

You probably just need to plug into ethernet on the linksys and goto http://192.168.1.1 the login is probably admin and the password admin

Unless you changed some things up…in which case I can help you get the IP address of the linksys so you can access the management web page.

you need to first install router on pc, then setup a WEP security host, get the network keys, 64-bit 10digits is easiest to create, then reset the network security access code or NSAC in the vista microsoft wireless client, just right click on your “home” or whatever you named your router, conenction, choose properties, and go to advanced and then retype the new NSAC and click apply and ok, and then you should be all set. If you need help, PM me and i can probably come help you out :slight_smile:

yes
my pc is hook up ether to one of the ports on the router currently

yeah it sounds like you have a confusing “mess” going on…Is the desktop currently able to connect/browse internet?

This actually isn’t so bad…

You just need to be plugged into an ethernet port on the linksys and access the management page.

yeah, it isnt hard to do, just if your not good or familiar with your pc, it can be a bit challenging

Pauly if you can’t figure this out and are around later tonight I can do a remote session via GotoAssist and help you out…

Ok thanks sherm. I’ll try to figure it out
hint on accessing the management page?

so what exactly is the problem here?
i have the exact same router and modem and i have no problems at all.

yeah LZ, you might want to do that with him, if not he could really fuck his shit up lol