networking question... 360 related

I have a networking cable coming from my westell verizon modem/router to my computer (about 100 feet or so away). Since I don’t want to keep having to switch the cable from my computer to my xbox, can I run that line to a router to split that line to the computer and xbox?

for some reason I thought I read that you can’t run 2 routers in line… but not real sure about that.

I was going to try it last night but couldn’t find my extra networking cable. Can anyone confirm this? I really want to get on live and don’t feel like buying the wireless adapter.

Yes you can, however you may need to setup appropriate port forwarding rules as some games might have issues.

Certain routers have the ability to operate as switches as well which in this case would be ideal, should be something in the options if it has that capability.

thanks fuzzy :tup:

do I just setup the port forwarding like you would for a torrent application? And would I set this up on my westell or the other router?

and how would I get into the modem? I know 196.168.1.1 is the westell… so would 196.168.1.2 be the new router?

$40 router from bestbuy = done

if u get a new router… turn off wireless and dhcp…
or just get a switch…

Shutup Vile you know nothing!

It would be the gateway of the router you are connected to, so it could be a number of things. Just run IPCONFIG, and try typing the gateway in.

Ex. At work for it’s 192.168.0.1 for the second router. Yet at home it’s 10.0.0.1 for my second router. It all depends on the router and how it’s setup. Usually the gateway IP is the correct one.

cool, thanks man :tup:

Your westel/verizon piece sounds like it isn’t a router, it’s just a modem. One network port coming out of it right?

So you just plug that port into the router and then use the multiple ports on the router to connect all your stuff (computers, xbox, your online programmable dildo etc).

A switch would be much easier and much less expensive to implement.

explain?

I already have a second router and all the cables… How much do switches go for? I’m all for making my life easier :smiley:

all you do is go out from the router into any port on the switch, then just plug devices into the switch(doesn’t matter which port). That is what I did with my network since I have 8 devices and only a 4 port router. Its very easy, not sure on the prices.

I have setup inline routers before, its not fun, and they usually break rather quickly.

You said you have a router lying around, you can easily use most routers as a switch…

Usually by setting a certain IP address for the router. Just google instructions for your perticular router.

yeah, if you already have the router, you can set it up to work, but it is finicky.

awesome, thanks guys :tup:

yes, home routers have a built in switch. just turn off DHCP on your internal ports, make sure the ip on it isnt anything in use on your network and you are good to go. it auto senses your uplink since you have nothing plugged into the uplink port and all into the lan ports so you shouldnt have to do any other config.

im running a router with no problems at all, 360 and dtv connected.

Steve just got buy a linksys, 30 bucks, and you will be fine, u dont need a switch for the 360.

Shit i have an extra if u want it.

switches are usually cheaper…

edit: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2002810030+4093&name=%2410+-+%2425

He’s asking about connecting a router to another router. Not as simple as just pluggin it in, but not too difficult.

Follow Boxxa’s instructions. I’m doing the exact same thing since about 6 months ago when my 8 port switch shit the bed.

I have an extra linksys or 2 laying around too if you need one.

read post 9