Home Network Options??

So at my apartment I had my Xbox and PS3 hard wired to my router because my wireless is slow as balls and I didn’t want to pay 100 bucks for a wireless adapter for 360.

At my new home, I have a my cable modem on the second floor on one side of the house and I need to get internet to the opposite side of the house on the first floor.

I was thinking I could run some ethernet cable out of my router along side my heating duct, into the basement, up through the floor and to my TV.

Problem is, I don’t think I can feed a cable through along the ducting because the holes for them look pretty tight. Going into the ducting is a bad idea.

Any suggestions on how I can do this? The wireless is killing me on COD4.

maybe find the path the cable takes to get to the second floor? other than that maybe bring the modem and router down stairs and make your computer wireless? much cheaper but realiability still crappy.

http://nyspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43836

Again, I don’t want to do wireless because I would also have to buy a wireless adapter for Xbox 360. I will pick up a G router eventually but right now I want to hook my systems up the old fashioned way.

running an ethernet cable through a hot air duct is a bad idea(no insulation). If you do however have cold air ducts(that feed the furnace recirculated air) it would be fine to do.

I have my modem/PC upstairs and the ps3 and xbox downstairs. I ran a 50 foot ethernet cable through the cold air duct to the basement, ran it along the ceiling of the basement and then ran it up through the wall to behind my tv. I just plug the ethernet cable into whichever one i am using but you could buy a small hub/switch and a short ethernet cable if you did not want to keep switching

You most likely have phone and cable already running up to the 2nd floor from the basement. If you don’t use one of the them, tie a good string and your cat5 without the rj45 connector onto the wire going to the basement. Good idea to have two people on hand, and to make sure that cable your going to pull is a straight shot from the wallplate to the basement. Electric tape your tie and a good portion of both old cable and new string and cat5e and have someone slowly pull from the basement while someone feeds. Once you get enough cat5 into the basement, cut the string and tie it off, you can use it in the future if you wanted to replace what you pulled, same at the wallplate… Now at the wall plate just etch out a bit of the drywall, but use the wallplate as a reference so you don’t etch out more then you can cover so you can have the cat5e feed out a corner. and you should be all set.

If you want it too look really good, follow above instructions minus the etching out the corner part, and cut a hole for an old work low voltage box 1-2" over from the power box, and put a keystone connector in there.

really good = http://www.progressivedigital.net/images/wallplate1web.jpg

exactly, however these days any wire i pull is cat5E be it phone or data, and i just change where i run the patch wire to, the phone relay, or the switch. It makes it so that any port is universal.

basically what i said but they wrote it out much better. you could then pull the cable right back up with the string since im guessing your using it for your modem connection. then i’d get a plate for coax and cat5 and button everything up nicely.

i just fed my cat5 into the holes in my floor the previous owners made for coax. other wise i could have probably done the wall plates. actually i probably still should. on my second floor the coax was actually run outside then back in at the second floor. quick way to do it but not very aesthetically pleasing.

…or you could save yourself all that work and just do it over the power lines. Just a thought.

First week I bought my house I fished cat6, cat 5e(phone / alarm), & RG6 to every room in the house.

Pick up a bag of RJ45s, F conns, Decora wallplates & keystones. I’ll loan you the crimp tools.

And… there is no “easy” way to fish the cabling.
Move the router / switch into the basement, and run all your network from a central location, drill lead hole through a floor board, into a stud wall, drill a 1" hole in the drywall where you want the wall plate. Fish tape -or- a wire hanger, duct tape, and your CatX wire. voila. Nice, clean looking install.

…iirc from your thread, you have a split level? If so, it is actually really easy to run cabling to the 2nd level (as with mine), 3rd floor is a bit more challenging depending on the build type.

Or, move the modem / router to the TV, and plug a wireless card into the PC.

802G PCIs can be had for what, $20?

:tup:

do it right the first time

If you fish the heat vents I guarantee the cat 5 will not start on fire. And more then likely you will not see any signal loss from the heat. Its not like your furnace is even blowing out 100 degress. For the typical person maybe 70 degress. I understand that cat5 is hardly insulated, but the heat will not affect it.

Or if your that worried, use a cold air return. Or a laundry shoot (if you have one). Or find where your chimney comes up to the second floor. You can usually fish lines down the side of it, inside the walls.

Thats how I ran upto the 3rd floor. :tup:

Yea, x10000, the Cat5 will not suffer from the heat vents. Though I wouldn’t personally do it.
I’d rather not introduce any new orifices for leaks / contaminants into the heat supply. Ashmatic + 3 animals + dust, etc.

But then you actually get to use duct tape for its intended purpose for once in your life!!!

The house is a colonial style two story not a split level which makes it a little harder.
I would run the modem from a central location (basement) but I would be dealing with virtually the same situation. That makes getting to the family room easy, but then I have to run cable up to the second floor still.

I won’t go through the heating ducts. There is potential for rattling and the coating on the CAT5 cable to eventually wear. I’m not sure how I can fish wire from the basement up to the second floor without any pre-existing holes. Making my way through the floor between the first and second floor is my concern.

The room with the modem is a corner room with 1 heating duct and 1 air conditioning opening near the ceiling. I wish there were a cold air return because that would be easy to fish wire through.

If you dont want to open up any drywall, and you dont want to run along the HVAC supply, then you’re going to run wireless.

Or, network over the electrical supply.

I’ve seen cat5 run out the basement near the corner of a house with siding and in that siding that fits on the corner off the house, it has a little channel that keeps cat5/rg6, whatever nice and tucked in up to the 2nd floor and in close by the corner.