Help with wireless computer/router setup

So I recently moved into an upper 1 bedroom apartment and I have a question regarding my setup. The modem and router for the internet are in the downstairs apartment and I have my computer with wifi, a router and my xbox.

My question is, what is the best way to set all of this up so that it will run the fastest? We split the bill and pay for the fastest Roadrunner, so I don’t want to cut myself short on speed.

Should I just run a hard line off his router upstairs to mine, or could I just use my computer as a modem via wifi from his router and plug my router into it, then run it to my xbox or is that going to slow it all down?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Yes…Cat 5 crimping really isn’t hard especially if your doing it to a punch down block.

Hardline is going to be the fastest and most reliable.

Well I didnt want to have to drill to run a line upstairs if I didnt have to. I guess that sounds like the best bet.

don’t run it upstairs…run it downstairs. :wink:

Will do, only thing is, I have to run a cable with both ends on it already. I dont have the tools capable of crimping the wire.

Won’t need em if your doing punchdown…just a punchdown tool…I’m sure someone on here has some networking tools.

Where do you live? I’ve got a RS45 crimp tool u can use…

I’m at work right now at BuffaloRV, but I live in Holland.

---------- Post added at 06:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:02 PM ----------

you will have to bear with me. Iv only run coax cable, never any ethernet. What is this tool you speak of?

It’s the tool to crimp on the ends of a network cable. The connector is called a RS45 (Similar to how a coax cable tv connector is called a “F-Connector”).

You’ll have to buy the bulk wire and connectors (HD and Lowes both carry these); but you can borrow my crimp tool if you promise to return it.

Thanks for the offer, but I may just use the cable I have and drill a little bigger hole for the connector to fit through. I’m trying not to spend a whole lot of money on this stuff since i need more important things right now. (wash/dryer, dishes, etc…) Thanks for the offer though, if I need anything else Ill let you guys know.

Really easy dude…just do two jacks… Most kits at like home depot/lowes come with a punch down tool. if you can strip the cable your all set.

I figured he was just going to run a cable, not Keystone jacks. Those are even easier, but normally those are run inside walls.

My impression was he was going to redneck it and drill a hole in the upstairs will and the downstairs wall and just stick an ethernet cable through. This would look much nicer IMO, it’s easier, and would need to be removed come selling time.

Im going to assume you have the 15/2 road runner pack… And getting 15mbit through wireless is stunningly easy. So long as youre not running 802.11b equipment, you should be fine.

Windows tells you your link rate, and you can run a speedtest from speedtest.net or similar to see if you have your 22/2 (with powerburst or whatever the fuck they call it)

You guys should get extreme, its only $10 more for 30/5. I do believe a tech has to install it, no self install yet.