XBOX Live Questions

Want to sign up for live…few questions:

The only new/good cable line in my house runs to the computer…the modem only has 1 ethernet cable jack…can i use a splitter, and then run 1 ethernet cable to the computer and the other to the xbox? or will this really slow things down for me? I dont know how much a good splitter goes for, but i’d also need about 50 feet of ethernet cable to reach the TV/XBOX…

2nd option would be to hook up our wireless router thingie that i bought a while ago but haven’t had a need/reason to hook it up yet, and just buy the piece so my xbox can just sign on wirelessly. from what i understand, whatever i need to make my xbox compatable with a wireless router is like $100 or so.

what would be cheaper/a better idea? run the splitter with 2 wires, one to computer and 1 to xbox, or just buy the wireless thing for the xbox itself?

where can i get said wireless parts for the xbox?

if i decide to go the splitter/long wire route, where can i purchase a splitter and that long a piece of ethernet cable at a decent price?

i’m a total xbox n00b…and am teh suck with computers too…so go easy on me here…

Splitter. Hands down, your connection won’t be slowed down unless you are downloading torrents etc, but that’d slow it down regardless of what setup you had… the wireless shit is just TOO expensive.

What games.

advantages/disadvantages to either option?

so far i only have rainbow 6: vegas, forza 2 and ultimate alliance, and PGR 3…plan on picking up COD 4 in the immediate future…and as soon as it comes out the new Turok game…and probably guitar Hero 3

Splitter:

PRO:
cheap, available, little maintenance/setup required

CON:
cabling everywhere

Wireless:

PRO:
Wireless

CON:
Pain in the ass to setup, wireless piece for xbox is NOT cheap

i refuse to spend the 100 dollars on the wireless adapter. a plain ethernet cable does the same thing. advantage of wireless would be exactly that, well its wireless. other than that theres really no difference.

Splitter can’t be used - you need to get a router - Time Warner will only hand out one IP to you.

-Hook up wireless router.
-Use ports on said router to run an ethernet cable to the xbox.
-Game on.

Switches/Hubs/Splitters will not work in this case.

This is what I meant. LOL.

what these guys said

oh, and wrong forum

but then how get internet on my desktop? it doesn’t have wireless…we only bought the router for my sister’s lap top…

now that i’m thinking…if the wireless router i have doesn’t have an ethernet jack, i wouldn’t be able to run both my xbox and computer online…unless both were wireless and running off the router if i hook it up…but my desktop doesnt have wireless capabilities…and the xbox doesn’t come with it…fucking lame.

wireless routers still have 4 wired ports, so you would still have a wire running to your desktop and your xbox. I’d just go with the wireless router so you have it in the future, plus you could pick one up for the same price, if not a little cheaper.

your router should have ethernet cables in it. if its a linksys router, it will have 4. if not, then you will need a router with ethernet ports.