WTB: really long ethernet cable

idk how big you can get them but my guess is i need around 100 feet. if anyone has one or can get ahold of one please let me know.

not really looking to spend a ton of one obviously but lmk what you’ve got

cant just do wireless? Could buy the cat 5 cable on a spool @ home depot or something, run the line and make 2 female end boxes, 1 at each device , then just use 2 shorter lengths to connect devices.

im working at an old JCpenny’s there is a ton of around. ill check on lenths and get back to you

idk how wireless would work for my xbox live. im trying to move it all to my room instead of next to the computer.

how hard is it to do the wires at the end of the cable to the connectors? also can you buy the ends at home depot as well?

thanks for your help.

:tup: thank you

you can buy the ends for the cable @the depot, and its not hard, just can be a little tedious stripping wires with that small of a gauge. It can be slightly cheaper then buying a brand new pre-made cable of that length.

that’s what i figured. if kuntry quest doesn’t end up having one of a decent sized length i’ll probably make one myself. i actually just remembered my friends neighbor who i went to school with as well took digital electronics and im sure if i bring him the stuff he could do the ends for me.

im not sure if live uses a pass through cable, might want to check that before making one.

i’ve been using a regular ethernet cable for years. up until recently it was pretty fast. now since i got a new router its slow as ballllllllls

I’ve got a ready-made 100’ ethernet cable sitting next to me.

and you wanna sell it :slight_smile:

lol

I can let it go for $10 - but where are you?

You need a patch cable (straight through) and running a 100 ft drop you may encounter packet loss. I have a shit load of cable already made if you need some. I dont know about 100ft tho.

uh, well its gotta go from my router right next to the stairs, all the way up them and into my room. no idea how long i’d need so i said 100 feet which may be way too much. idk.

no worries dude ethernet can run 100 meters without signal reduction.

just buy that for 10 bucks and be done with it

FWIW - when I got this cable (it’s Cat5, BTW) I did just that - ran up the stairs and into another room of a townhouse. This was pre-wifi, though, and the cable’s now sitting next to a spare computer. I was debating on wiring the upstairs of my current house, but with the current g/g-plus setup, that’s not been necessary.

My bad i was thinking of 100 feet. Its 100 meters max (328ft) You should be good to go

Thx for the help everyone.

traumadog- how far from MCC are you in rochester? i’ll be there for the day for orientation and looking for an apartment and job and such.

well i found your 100ft cable. cuz well it say 100ft on it. im just going to ask the boss man if i can have it. im not going to just take it, we know how that goes. so ill let you know whats up