Networking question.

Where to start…

Right now I run a Cat5 cable from one of my ‘office’ room out to my living room where my 360 and PS3 are. Looks pretty retarded, but I just don’t 100% trust a wireless connection for gaming. So I’ve been looking into a solution to not have the cable running through the apartment:

Powerline networking.

Has anyone used this type of setup before?
What exactly do I need to buy?
How reliable is it?

It’s more expensive than the cable running through my apartment, but it will clean up how everything looks and I won’t need to grab the cable and run it through every time I want to play.

Can you run it through the wall? Nothing will compare to using the CAT5.

If I drill holes I could, but still would have the wire running across two rooms instead of two rooms and a hallway lol.

Ive always run Wireless for gaming and have had no problems ever. even in fast paced gamed like COD and HALO

Cossey depending on your room setup and where you could access it from you could setup a patch pannel and run cat5 thru the wall into a faceplate…

Seeing as ur in an apartment dunno if itd be worth it

Thats what throw rugs are for! :lol

I only use the wireless on my Ps3, Wii, and PC, never had a problem.

i use pink duct tape to stick wires down on the floor, but you should do that. I think u should poke a couple of neat little holes in the wall behind the moulding and run cables there or pick up some thicker moulding and run it behind that

Oh vot brought up another good idea, get enough Cat5 and you can just run underneath the wall molding around the room et… woudlent be visible and minimum intrusion… unless all your floors are wood, in which case wont be that easy

He lives in an apartment which might limit him to what he can do

dbl post ftl

Well, depending on access like light switches and socket locations you could do 2 RJ45 faceplates at location of router and location where desired, guessing where his Xbox/ps3 or whatever else is… and im sure it wouldent go against him or his deposit on the apartment if done cleanly, doubt theyd even notice

but if he has carpet and wall modlings, you can easily get a long run of cat5… Hell I could even make the cable for him at my work cheap(cost of material) and he can run it under the base boards between the carpet, woudlent even notice… but i have no idea how is apt is laid out.

Could be done for under 30 bucks if he knew someone whod do it for him… or do it himself

um, wireless works fine

wireless on the PS3 is shit compared to a Cat-5 cable link to the modem.

Really? I have no problems with my network. I have my laptop set as a media server so the Ps3 can access everything on it. No problems here. I have a Motorola wireless router/modem if that makes any difference.

I’m using Linksys WRT160N (I believe it’s that one, I know it’s wireless-n) and unless my modem that the apartment complex gave me sucks, there should be nothing wrong.

I can NOT drill any holes no matter how clean they are. I’m not going to risk using my security deposit for this.

run it around the bottom of the moulding and snake it under the carpets.

Is the second option such as I, redvil and alstar suggest possible?

Get some linksys wireless bridges. Like good N ones and I dont see why it shouldnt work, you’ll still be using the lan connection on your game systems (if the wireless on the PS3 is shitty).

Most likely no. The whole apartment is the same carpet. Living room, hallway, both bedrooms.

So then, get a long enough run of Cat5… you can push it underneath the molding really easy as its carpet… All you need is a butterknife to help push it under the molding, have done this many times… then if you ever move out or do something different just pull it from underneath the molding, no intrusion or any holes cut or damage done.

Pretty sure I got enough cat5 here if you could measure out the distance it would need to run around the walls etc… and I could make you a run of cat5…

LMK