Networking question.

THIS.

Wired connection is the only way to fly on PS3. You will notice a difference, especially when streaming video to the PS3 from a server to watch movies.

Edit: You don’t want a cat-5 link to the modem though, you want a cat-5 link to the router, and open the appropriate ports or DMZ.

yeah i meant router not the actual modem, although you could go direct to the modem if you felt like it.

And yeah I’ve used the PS3 both in wireless and cable configs and the cable config is far superior in terms of speed and feed.

:beer

Get another N router and set it up as a repeater bridge (make sure the router supports this mode). Use the wired ports on the back of the bridge router (which will be next to your TV) to plug in your accessories. Basically, it will still be a wireless connection, but you will plugged in via Ethernet from the bridged router. The signal strength will be rock solid in an Apt. This setup works really well in my house. Played COD MW2 on my xbox for a couple hours last night with absolutely NO hiccups and I am only using a WRT54G with a Dlink N router. Eventually, I would like to get another N router, but this setup works so well that I don’t wanna screw it up.

BTW, Cossey, depending on the revision of your router, you can put DD-WRT on it. Running DD-WRT on both the N routers would be sweet and very easy to get working…

http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/router-database

THIS. <3 DD-WRT

Be aware that any bridged setup you will loose 50% connectivity speed just from the bridge.

DD-WRT FTW. I’ve been running it for years.

Wayne stop your nonsense!

:slight_smile: Just don’t see the point in all that equipment when you could just run a $5 cable and be done with it.

Cat6 FTW

Yea, but someone who doesn’t want to do that has no other option. I wanted to, but can’t the way the house is. I can’t run underneath the floor and I can’t through the ceilings. The bridge works great!

Edit: Wireless N adapter for the Xbox new is like $90 from newegg. FTL. Saved myself $90 using a router I had laying around. :wink:

Thats why i offered to make him a long enough cable to run underneath the base boards so no holes or extra hardware would have to be made.

I would just do that if baseboards are the only thing you have to deal with.

Must just be differences in providers/hardware because there was a noticeable difference between wireless and cat5. Even things like system updates would take ~15 minutes on wireless, Cat5 would be done in a couple minutes. Games always ran much smoother with a cable than the wireless connection.

Then again I “abused” my PS3 so much that it said it was overheating, even with ducted AC cooling into the fan system. Should have sent those videos to Sony. Fuckers for denying my warranty.

If you are going to stream Blu-Ray, wireless just won’t cut it. I tried and failed hardcore. I am not that good at networking but I’d guess either running a wire (try running it against the wallboard to avoid dealing with room modifications that will fuck you in the end. Perhaps a repeater will work and allow you to have a strong enough connection to run Blu-Ray? If you are not considering Blu-Ray, you should be OK with a repeater for gaming but it depends on what bandwidth you need.

Move your road runner next to the game system and hard wire the two systems. Have your PC’s run off the wireless.

That will work too as the real question mark is the game system. Typically, people have WAYY Too much bandwidth for basic browsing.

Unless teh run is over 100ft, shouldent need a repeater at all

I was referring for possibly streaming Blu-Ray

over cat5? still shoudlent need one at all…