need networking help, comcast cable connection

I told my sis that I would set up the cable connection to her bedroom… so it works on the main computer that comcast setup for them. I bought a switch (not a router cause she didn’t want to spend that much $$) and I plugged the cable modem CAT5E cable into the 1 port on the switch, and two other cat5e cables into the two computers in the basement. The one works (the one comcast setup) and the other doesn’t and I can’t figure out why. I’ve double-checked all LAN settings and stuff and there doesn’t seem to be anything that I’m missing.

Anyone have experience with this?

switch Set to DHCP? and both computers set to auto-discover IP’s?

There isn’t anything on the switch to set… and yes, both computers are set to automatically find IP.

My thoughts would be that you would need a router to hook up two or more computers for a shared internet connection. Are both set up as a static IP to the switch or a dynamic IP. I would go into the command prompt and to a ipconfig /all to see all the IP settings. Also, what kind of switch is it, some of the higher end switches have a GUI based configuration that allows you to set parameters and what not. If worse comes to worse, Staples has sales every week, and you can get a router cheap.

Edit:Sometimes switches can get goofy and assign different IP/Subnet addresses.

what kind of switch?? there is stuff to set, but it should be the way you need it defaulted from factory. find the ip addy of the switch and log into the admin panel and look it over

It sounds to me like the computer they setup just happened to retain the DHCP settings it got from the cable modem. Try turning them both off and only booting the 2nd PC. If it works then you will need to use a router. If you skimped and bought a cheap switch, most likely it won’t do what you need it to. Spend the money and get a proper router. It will make life so much easier.

mmm k people… this is basic.

two share 1 connection over 2 devices you would need 2 ip’s. you have two options.

1 Return the switch and purchase a router that will serve as a DHCP. this will take the one address and then make many addresses.

1. Add a second NIC to a computer, and turn on internet connection sharing on the computer. this will serve as a DHCP server.

exactly.

How much did you pay for the switch?? You can get a basic router that supports DHCP for like 30 bucks tops for a no name brand. hell I spent like 40 on a Belkin and the wireless works awsome.

Why can’t I make the switch work??? It’s a netgear FS605.

$30 for the switch… my sis is going to be pissed!!

Switch:a device that filters and forwards packets between LAN segments. Switches operate at the data link layer (layer 2) of the OSI Reference Model and therefore support any packet protocol. LANs that use switches to join segments are called switched LANs or, in the case of Ethernet networks, switched Ethernet LANs.

Router:A device that determines the next network point to which a data packet should be forwarded enroute toward its destination. The router is connected to at least two networks and determines which way to send each data packet based on its current understanding of the state of the networks it is connected to. Routers create or maintain a table of the available routes and use this information to determine the best route for a given data packet.

I don’t think that switch supports NAT or dhcp so you can’t run a private network in your house with it, with one internet connection.

Look at the pdf network map on the linksys web site… http://www.netgear.com/products/details/FS605.php

because switches are designed to work with static ip’s unless you get another ip from comcast and pay another subsciption you need a router or another nic card…but then the computer that is supplying the connection needs to be on in order for the 2nd one to have a connection at all. all that hassle and fuss over a $30 switch (which is an expensive ass switch these days for what you wanted to use if for) when routers are 40 bux

:whitey: this thread>me

just take it back and get a router. I suggest not getting the cheapest linksys because there have been a lot of problems with them. So Netgear, Belkin for around $40 would be fine. They might even have some sales this week. CompUSA is where I bought my last router.

But a switch is not a router and that is why it wont work to split an internet connection without more configuration.

got a D-link router. Works OK on this computer, going to check it on my sis’s now!

quit trying to be l33t. Take the switch back. I have a Linksys WRT54G wireless switch/router I’ll take $30 for. /story
Verizon gave us a Belkin free with FIOS install so I dont need it anymore. Works like new. Updated firmware and I reset it back to default so with Cable all you should have to do is plug it in and let DHCP do the rest.

www.tigerdirect.com or www.newegg.com

When we get people calling in (comcast) with switches, they have to buy another IP ($5/mo.), the router is the best way to go. Basically plug and play, keep the DHCP.