why can't i get these 2 computers to talk - frustrating

my mom got a dell and i’m trying to use just a crossover cable to connect the 2 like i used to on the computer i fried…well the one in my room sees this one but tells me the path is invalid and this one doesn’t see anything, the one in my room freakin sends and recievs data like normal but this one doesn’t seem to do either of those, both running xp and both using the stupid MS home networking setup like i used to (i hate crossover cables but limited fundage) is there something on this dell stopping me from doing this?

If you need crossover cables I can get them at work… we make them here… or get you some crossovers… Im not sure how that works with computers… I just word with data nothing to do with computers yets

:I know this didn’t help:

Make sure you dont have any firewall programs INSTALLED. I had the same problem because zonealarm was on my computer. Not running, just installed.

Make sure its a real crossover cable. they are usually RED and the pairs should be opposite when you hold them next to eachother.

Hook up the 2 PCs via crossover cable and give one computer the following IP settings…

IP: 192.168.1.1
DG: 192.168.1.2

Then give the other PC these settings…

IP: 192.168.1.2
DG: 192.168.1.1

share a folder or whatever and then you should be able to ‘talk’ :slight_smile:

just drop both pc’s into the same workgroup and listen to logik.

yes follow that and you can’t mess it up…

i think the one cable end might be messed up, yes it’s a crossover i put it together last year when it worked…i’ll check the ip thing here after i put a new end on it (cat peed on it aparently)
-kurt

hahahahahaha

/cat

on the new dell if i try to view workgroup computers sometimes it says i dont’ have access sometimes it doesn’t show anything, i should at least see this computer on that right?

ok i found norton firewall and set up some settings for networking now i can access both computers but still no internet on the other one.

what is your setup?

you setting up one computer to share the internet? or do you have a DSL/Cable Router?

one computer to share dialup for now, i had it like this a while ago when i had my computer that recently got struck by lightning…can’t seem to get these to share the internet, everything else is working right now

so you are running MS Internet connection sharing wizard?

What OS are the computers?

both are xp i’ve never run the ms internet connection sharing wizard i’ve always just done the setup for home networks.

well the main XP computer will need to be setup to share the connection…

i thought that was included when you run the small network wizard, it asks how it connects and says it’s for internet sharing…is there something i’m missing on this thing?

well besides sharing Dial up… i thought XP had a whole wizard for all this shit

that’s what i’ve been running it’s not working

ont he second machine go into ie then tools then options, connections lan, auto detect

computer 1 must have file / print sharing on in tcpip

turn off the builtin xp firewall

side note: your cat peed on your crossover and your other PC got struck by lightening?!! sounds like you don’t have much luck with teh technology