Connecting computer

how do i connect 2 computers together, both running windows xp, to share files. I connected them using a cross-over cable through their network cards but i dont know how to set it up so that i can share files between them.

the esy way (if this is a secure home setup) is to put them on the same workgroup and simply share the folders (right click, sharing & security, click away…)

if this an office/admin setup - im not nearly as helpful.

:gotme:

Windows XP Home and Pro has “Shared Docs” in My Computer. If you need to transfer a file, simply put it in that folder.

If one is XP Home and one is XP Pro, its a little tricky to setup individual shared files/folders for a beginner.

If they are both XP Home, you can just right click -> Sharing. and just enable sharing. If that isn’t an option… go to My Network Places and click on “Setup Home or Small Office Network” and configure each computer the same, turning on File and Printer sharing, and setting the workgroups as the same, but different computer names.

Come back to us for further assistance

ok i figured out how to set up the home network and transferred all the files over. New problem, is that the new computer can’t find my internet connection. It finds the ethernet card fine, but it can’t find the connection. Whenever i run the comcast install disc it says “cannot find your internet connection” but as soon as i unplug it from the new computer and plug it into the old computer (one i’m typing on right now) it connects to the internet no problem.

When you connect a different device to the modem you MUST reset the modem by pulling the power to the cable modem. No need to install anything.

This has to be done anytime you plug something different in to the cable modem.

ah ok, wish i would’ve checked this before going to bed last night. now i have to wait until 5 to try such an easy fix.

ran home on lunch, reseting the modem fixed it :tup: