Network people i have a question

i have a wireless network set up in my house and i was just curious if i would be able to do this with what i have. i was wondering if i could have the computer that the router is hooked up to me like a main computer where i could go on other computer in the house and grap files from for like updating software so i would not have to use my flash drive all the time to update the computers.

i have a netgear rangemax next wireless router

That sounds so confusing.

Do you want to just access other computers from the “main computer”, or do you want the “main computer” to automatically push files or updates on it’s own?

If all the computers are in the same workgroup you can just use windows file sharing…

i want to be able to access the main computer from the other computers.

how do u set up the computers on a workgroup im new with the networking stuff

you can set up an FTP server on it too. then jsut ftp to the main computer

or

which there is TONS of info on

(Not so)Easy solution: Dump POS XP Home, install XP Pro :slight_smile:

Windows remote desktop. It’s in your Program Files -> Accesories -> Communications.

Help files should be easy enough to figure it out. There is an option to allow access to the drives (a checkbox or something if I recall, haven’t done it in a while).

Easy solution:

Right click on “My computer”, go to “properties”, then click on the “computer name” tab. At the bottom, click the “change” button. highlight the workgroup field. Make sure all the other computers have the same “workgroup” (whatever you want to call it). Reboot, and that’s it basically.

Then setup file sharing on all the computers (use the help feature, pretty easy to do).

Rick…You can’t RDP to computers running XP Home…I doubt he runs Pro

^^very good point

Windows File Sharing is probably going to be the easiest route…

OOps.

I keep forgetting not everyone runs pro. I will correct my original post.

EDIT:

figured it out

but i have another problem i went to view workgroup computers on one of the computers but it sends and error saying u dont have access to the workgroup … contact administrator??? what do i do

If youre talking about Remote Desktop Connection, you can do it on Home but you have to install the client, which is free from M$. But sharing files on RDC sucks balls,for some reason it goes much slower than a workgroup share even on the same network.

Setup identical user accounts (with the same username and password as the “main computer”) on all the shared computers.

Or, you can just access whatever files you want by going to the root :

\computername\c$

When it asks you for a username and password, just type in an account with administrative privileges, aka, your account.

Shit, just put your computers on a domain - get another computer and make it a DC lol

could it be my firewall that is doing this?

oh, windows firewall will definately kill the connection

or any other one

disable those

what?

just allow the ports don;'t disable firewalls

and make sure port 80 is blocked… problem solved

yup made the computers trusted and works great now thx

That was more of a temporary solution

\computername\ , run that, then right click on the drive, and click map network drive. that should be more permanent and rather convenient. if ur on a router, u can make static ip’s to make ip addresses more permanent so u dont lose ur mapped drives