Networking gurus

I have 4 computers hooked up to a wireless router 2 of them are wired 2 wireless. I cannot access the 2 wired computers but I can ping there ip’s. I also have a network printer that I cannot connect to either. I have disabled the firewall on my computer and uninstalled Norton 360 but still cannot access the printer or the other computers. Please help.

**edit: all machines are xp pro, File and print sharing has been enabled on all, and all machines are in the same workgroup. This setup was working a while ago but I do not know what has been changed since.

is windows file sharing enabled in the 2 computers that you can not access?

^

word. and also once you check that make sure the printer and folders, etc are shared out.

Sorry forgot about that. Yes that is all enabled and I went through the network setup and it still doesn’t work.

Sometimes resetting the router will help. You can try that. Also make sure that in addition to Norton, there are no other firewall programs installed on the machines.

He can have a firewall, and if he has any web services that can open his computer up to attack, i would recommend one. He does however have to go into the firewall settings and ensure that the IP address of the other computers are allowed access.

what OS’s are on the 4 computers and which ones are working/not working?

what are you trying to do?

other than the network printer… thats just installing drivers on each machine, and having windows search for it… or linux with CUPS which is fucking superb

make sure file and printer sharing is enabled on all the computers and make sure they are all in the same workgroup

I’m trying to access the printer and different folders on the other computers.

**I’ve set the computers to the same workgroup and file/printer sharing is enabled on all computers

Try to access the other machines by IP instead of by name. See if that works.

If this is Vista I had the same problem and in my case it was Norton and WIndows firewall. After uninstalling Norton, I had to use regedit and manually remove all instances of symantec(there were still a ton of dll’s loading). Then I had to go into the windows firewall through services and again re-disable it. For some reason Norton took control of the firewall but left pieces of the Windows firewall in place and in the background. From security center it thought it was disabled but under services it was not. I had to disable it there and suddenly it worked. If I remember Norton also by default turned off netbios which has to be enabled. I’ll try and remember what else I ran into. The newer images I’ve seen coming out seem to have a lot more of these issues fixed.

all machines are xp home or pro. I did have this working at one time too.