How do I get the computer on the network?

Thanks to Howie I got the computer on the internet. Now I need to get this computer on the network so I can use the network printer and share files??

Bump

share the printer, then click add printer, then add it from the network.

it doesnt seem to find it when I do that

Are both computers in the same workgroup?

yes

You need to make the printer print a test page which will show its IP.

Then you can configure it via a webbrowser…

That is if the printer is network enabled and can have its own ip address (most mid to higher end lasers are).

If your just using a computer to host a shitty usb printer or something, then the computer that its plugged into needs to be powered on and on the same workgroup as you.

Whats the setup?

Either network printer, shitty usb printer with print server, or shitty usb printer attached to a host pc.

there is a host pc and the printer is a laser from the 90s lol

I really dont like when computers dont work, I am not an IT guy

share the printer, leave the host pc on.

Then add the printer to the new computer.

Done.

I have tried this like 10 times

when i hit search no other printers show, it works for all the other computers, just not this one, its new

I also am going to need this computer to share files

are you on a domain?

^ no, not to my knowledge at least

are you at work or at home?

home,

shit.

umm

you can get a printer box… sherm will know what im talking about… i forgot what its called. it sits between the printer and the network and acts like a “bridge”.

Do I really need a printer box?

I just dont understand why the printer doesnt show up. I also need this thing to be able to share files off of another computer

lol you mean a print server? lol

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833164111

http://images10.newegg.com/NeweggImage/ProductImageCompressAll125/33-164-111-05.JPG

But you are having another issue if the computer does not show up on the network.

I’m trying this again, I am putting xp pro on the computer now, it had home edition on it before.

the printer box is not an option, because I still need this computer to access files from the network

Any ideas ??

are you getting an ip address on the problem computer?