Printer Sharing

Can anyone tell me how to share the printer I have connected to my computer via USB with my girlfriend’s laptop over a network?

cant seem to figure it out and some how-to’s on the web are confusing.
Both computers are on Vista

have to turn on print sharing in the network and sharing center of the host pc

Ya I have

pay chad 50 dollars and he will hook you up

I figured it out just by clicking and figureing stuff out on my own instead of trying to find a how to.

She is able to print now. there was also a problem with her firewall on trend micro.
I need to install norton once her free subscription is on on trend

I have basically the same question.

But here is my senerio:

Printer connected to an XP computer(main computer) via USB port.
Garage computer running XP will print on other computer.
Laptop running Vista will not.

I have enabled sharing on on computers in network and I can’t even share pictures or music with the laptop, but the garage system shares anything on main computer just fine.

Any ideas?

printer may not be vista compatable… go to printers support page to see if there is a vista driver.

download it if there is one, and when it promps you to install the printer and look on windows update to find a driver online, click have disk.

browse to where downloaded driver is and select it

I’ll second that. I have run across a lot of slightly older printers that just will not work with Vista.

Do I install the vista driver on the computer that the printer is connected to or the laptop? I ask because I never installed any drivers on the garage computer, yet it prints over the network just fine.

install the vista driver on the vista pc

you have to turn on public sharing or whatever, or else it becomes a major headache. XP printer sharing was much nicer than vista, it will work with a bit of playing around. The HP or whatever brand name printers, with wireless or wired connections are totally worth the money. It’s half the hassle and you don’t need to worry about the PC being on for file sharing. Just my 0.02$.