New Computer in, CS:S won't play?

After getting my new machine all set to go, I can connect to steam, get into CS:S, I can refresh and look at server information, but when I try to connect to any server it’ll stop at 2 bars and come back with a message “Failed after 4 retries” after a few seconds.

Anyone have this problem before? The only thing I can think of is that Steam is still updating CS:S.

btw. I ran 03 3dmark and the results were awesome.

It won’t work 'cause you should be playing BF2 instead…

I agree

I just recently updated steam since i wanted to play DOD and I went to download the game and the one download status screen said it was done but the main game menu said it was only 16% done, make sure it is fully downloaded

I had an IP blocker on and it would not let me connect to any games, also maybe turn off the windows firewall or check routers settings if on an router

P.S. the steam agent is the worst thing to happen to counter-strike and other mods

lol very subtle… yeah i’ll get on that

Make sure a firewall isn’t blocking the connection be pretty much the only thing nowadays as they removed most of the configuation options in HL/source engine.

OK now I am stumped. I try to join a room with only bots or primarily bots (maybe 1 or two human players) and connect fine. I try to join a room with human players - connection fails after 4 retries :gotme:

numbers or :bsflag:

Id try reinstalling steam.

I was having this prob with 1.6 and it seemed to clear it up for me

A hundred or two below 12000, and I’m using a crappy on-board sound card.

was it 3dmark05 or 3dmark03???

:snky:
My new card should be here monday… but I don’t have a PCI Express slot, so all i can do is look at it

:slight_smile: