New Fog Lights

So the car looked like this when I got it:

Then I picked up a set of OEM STS-V fogs and it looked like this last summer:

Still not exactly happy with the look, I picked up a set of stock fogs and replaced the lense with clear lexon (sorry for the dirty car cell phone pic):

I also upgraded the bulbs to 55W 4,500k DDM units. I don’t plan on using them with any oncoming traffic, but the stock bulbs were not even noticable with the low beam HIDs on. So this will light up the night on a back road.

I will put the insurance back on it today and new tires go on Thrusday.

I want to see a close up pic of the lenses you made…

Well I don’t have any of them out of the car, but they look pretty identical to these:

This has become a very common mod on the cadillac forum.
Bake the housing, peel the lense, trim the metal splitter in the middle, either buy the pre-cut lexon or cut it yourself, heat the lexon a bit to make it bend with the housing, epoxy it and clamp it down till it dries.

I did the sidemarkers with a set of smoked lexon lenses someone made as well.

Edit here is another V with them installed. As you can see the edges of the housing are not really visable.

You use a cts-v as a summer car? This intrigues me. I like the new fogs

Yeah it was a California car, so I wanted to keep it clean.
Also a higher horsepower RWD car in a city known for not plowing until it stops snowing, if at all, did not sound like fun. So I decided to go with a winter car as well.

I did something similar to my TL when I was in college… The results were much worse, lol.

Yeah I only decided to do it after seeing many people sucessfully doing it.
I also bought a spare set of fogs incase I screwed up and the pre-made lenses. I like to mitigate risk whenever possible.

Nice…did you paint the bottom and top flat surfaces of the reflector black on yours?

I like the blackout look.

The top and bottom are reflectors. Mine look just like the one posted.
Not really a blacked out look, but much cleaner.

At one point I was buying up a bunch of extra lights and was going to go the blacked out route, but I don’t want to draw any more attention with the cops and decreased light output is not something I was looking forward to.

If you painted the flat portions it will not affect your light output. The parabola is what gives you light output.

Awesome and very nice ride!!

Interesting. Well if I ever have to redo them I will consider it. But not worth the effort to tear it apart when I like the current look.

Thanks. I was seriously considering selling it this spring and picking up a 09.
But after hearing it fire up, I am now leaning towards waiting till later in the summer (August-ish). Plus it is definitely a better financial move.

looks alot better