New job

So I finally setttled my job situation and went with UPMC Shadyside. I started Monday. Driving to Pittsburgh from Washpaw I’m going to see if I can transfer from Washington Hospital School of Nursing to Shadyside SON. They will pay for all of my tuition if I sign a contract that I will work for UPMC for 2 years once I am an R.N. They will also give me an $8,000 sign on bonus for working there as an R.N. I’m still in training until the Nov. 24, but so far so good. Seems like it’s going to be great. I knew that my director will be promoting me very soon, but I also found out there is another promotion I can get after that. So the search for an apartment near Shadyside begins. Any suggestions? We need something around $500 a month or so, 1 bedroom, not some ghetto shack either. A garage would be nice but I doubt we could afford it.

Congrats!!! That is awesome! I cannot help out on the apt thing tho since I am not from around here and have no clue on those things…good luck!!! :smiley:

congrats!!!

congrats!!

Glad to hear!

Sounds like you guys will be moving closer to me :slight_smile:

congrats!

Congrats! On the apartment thing, I’d say Squirrel Hill is your best bet for close and relatively inexpensive: this sounds decent…

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/apa/234457264.html

congrats that is awesome!!!

x2 on sq. hill.

we rented a place that had a big heated garage across the street. it was $650 for the apt. and $60 per car for the garage.

Let me know if you want any more info, I know that’s a little higher than your price range though. There is stuff that is a little cheaper, just have to look around some.

Alright sonny, now I just need you to hook me up with free upmc parking :x: Parking is $75 a month for employees at Shadyside, unless you want to park farther away and walk or take a shuttle…or if you work nights like me you can get a night lease for only $30 a month. We need an apartment that will allow cats, I have 2. $600 or so wouldn’t be bad as long as some utilities were included. I found this The ad I saw for those apartments says something about special discounts, income restrictions apply, so I wonder if they base it off of your income somehow. They look like really nice apartments though and some utilities are included. They also give a discount to UPMC employees…Then again, so does everywhere in Oakland…No surprise there, UPMC owns damn near everything medically related in Oakland. Dom would like a garage, because he thinks someone will steal his car…I tried telling him no one wants a neon :bowrofl:

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/apa/235859016.html

I called and left a message asking about this one. I found a few others for decent prices on craigslist. I would like to find something within walking distance or that has a shuttle to Shadyside hospital and School of Nursing so I don’t have to pay for parking or deal with any traffic.

So who wants to get a job at UPMC so I can make some money for referring people?
Sonny, can you still get referral money if I am already working there before you fill out the paperwork? I think you would get a grand if you are eligible for referral bonuses.

The $650 / month we spent included everything but electric, which was only about $30 / month. Heat was a hot water boiler and was included.

thanks marge… no biggie!!! i don’t work for upmc, i’m just working onsite for another company…

hope the job works out! i can only help with parking around oakland… and it’s not really all that much of a deal!

Welcome.
Parking is only going to be $30 a month, I got my lease today. I looked at two apartments, not too nice though. I wish I could find something on Walnut street in Shadyside, I looked at a tiny studio apartment there today. Nice area and within walking distance.

I start training on December 12 for my promotion. That’s less than a month til I get promoted. 3% pay raise, and they teach me how to draw blood, remove foley catheters and I.V. catheters…Good knowledge for nursing school.