New or rebuilt alternator?

I need a new alternator for my car and dont know whether i should go with new, or rebuilt. If rebuilt is cheaper and just as good i just need a good place to go to get one. Any ideas???

If its for a 240SX i got one for sale. http://www.n-e-c-c.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1448&start=0

Rebuilt ones nev er seem to last…

If you want a bran new one let me know.
but they are kind of expensive.

yeah they are expensive, I got one from NAPA for 275 w/core

wow

mine is a whole lot closer to the 200 mark with core.

Rebuilts will work just fine for you. I’ve used them time and time again for both myself and at work. Even if they don’t last, their warrantied…

if you want the best alternator thats new, go with canadian tire or partsource, all our alternators are made by unipart and have about 34 patented components inside them, the hitachi new alternators have a 5 year warrentee, and the cost? i can tell you after returning the core you looking at under 200

To bad there is nothing avalible for a 240 last time i looked.

check out www.altrom.com for some stuff.

All Great quality. the cap and rotor i bought from them had the nissan logo on the inside and the fuel filter says the nissan part number and is identical to it. for 12 bucks i think too

i’ll check morrow at work, if anything the champion remanufactured are all new components inside same with the hitachi, but uses a remanned housing, only reason they are still called reman

Rebuilds are fine, just don’t cheap out and get a canadien tire special! Wilson rebuilds are really good. I apprenticed in a automotive electrical shop and all we sold was ACDelco and Wilson products. I saw many many other cheap rebuilds come in and I would take em apart to find old, rusty, no good parts on something only a couple months old. I had many farmers come in with cheaper rebuilds that they had allready replaced under warranty many times. But everytime it broke they lost money as they had to take it off, bring it into town, get a replacement, put it back on…they would get fed up with it and just bring it to my shop to get it fixed properly and the stuff they considered good in those things were crap!
Anyway…I would price out a wilson rebuild and compare it to the others around. I have torn hundreds of there rebuild apart and never found any surprises!

i resent that, canadian tire currently sells one of the best alternators on the canadian market… as long as its the unipart hitachi or champion one… you can diss the white/brown box rebuilds all you want

I would check with Cooper brothers. I know a while back I had bought an alternator from them and it was great!!

Well I did clearly say " don’t buy the canadien tire special" not don’t get anything from their. And who are you? the owner? Maybe hitachi is OK, I don’t know. But most stuff made by champion that canadien tire stocks is crap in my opinion. And I worked at crappy tire for awhile too!

not the owner, just a well educated ex partmen turn apprentice mechanic, i like to know my stuff before shooting off, and the champion/hitachi lines are at above average quality, you don’t give 5 year warentee’s on crap, and i checked today… sry 240 owners, none for you