New STi wows fans (attn chino)

Cross posted from Nasioc
It ran 5 seconds faster than the previous sti…
heres the youtube vid: http://youtube.com/watch?v=gV9fAjBfelc

[quote=“modaddict”"]

Got this press release. Figured I’d share. They’re still on a learning curve but doing well considering…

7.25.08 Oceanside CA

2008 WRX STI Wows Fans & Drivers at Auto Club Speedway

This past weekend, at Auto Club Speedway in Fontana, Team Crawford continued on their pioneering venture with their new 2008 WRX STI earning a2ndplace finish ( 1:42.327) at the Redline Time Attack. However the success was not without its challenges. The innovative skunkworks crew was faced with severe braking issues on the NASCAR ROVAL. Thankfully Tanner Foust (X-Games gold medalist, Drift Guru , Stunt Driver and now Top Gear USA TV Host) was on hand to pilot the 160mph WRX STI to another podium finish on Sunday.

As Tanner was not available on Saturday (filming Top Gear in Arizona), the Crawford crew turned to Tyler McQaurrie, factory Hankook Tire driver, fellow Hankook teammate, and Time Attack competitor of the super fast and super light (2200lbs) carbon fiber CWEST Honda S2000. Tyler enthusiastically took the Crawford 2008 WRX STI (2900lbs) out for a few shakedown & feedback sessions on Saturday. He was fairly impressed with the car’s development, the times it was running on Saturday (Crawford STI 1:43.5, CWEST S2000 1:42.6,) and offered a few suggestions that would help make the car even faster.

With the Crawford power train nearly dialed in at 600hp, the TEIN suspension working perfectly, the team and Tanner decided to devote all attention to the braking system on Sunday. Huge Brembo calipers already in use, the Crawford skunkworks crew decided to try a different pad compound. Unfortunately the front pads utilized were not up to the tasks demanded by the high speed NASCAR oval sections. The lessons were learned too late, the pads overheated, and glazed the front rotors. It was up to Tanner to make final run with little to no front brakes.

None of this seemed to matter too much for the spectators or Tanner for that matter, as the new 2008 WRX STI rolled out for its final lap. It was obvious that people eagerly anticipated how the Crawford WRX STI would survive given its current condition. And Tanner did what he does best. He electrified the crowd, other drivers and even surprised himself. Driver Billy Johnson, “I was following him into the turn and he got completely sideways. I thought he was going to loose it, but then he’d save it and continue on. I was completely amazed with the Crawford STI and with Tanner!”

When asked what makes this Time Attack car so competitive in so few months, owner Quirt Crawford responded, “Of course the level of expertise on staff help the 08 STI shine. But Subaru are the ones to thank for building such a great platform to start with. Simply add into that, support from our partners and Tanner’s superb driving skills… well it obvious at that point that its teamwork which helps make this 08 STI project a success!”

Thank you to all the Crawford Skunkworks Partners and Supporters. We eagerly look forward to the remainder of our Time Attack season. Be sure to check us out at Subie Fest (Willow Springs CA Sept 6th) & Virginia International Raceway GT Live Redline Time Event (Oct 3-5).

Long live the Fraternity of STI!

Auto Club Speedway Images: Crawford Performance Subaru Parts Street Track Off-Road
HD Video: Crawford Performance Subaru Parts Street Track Off-Road
Youtube: YouTube - Auto-Club Speedway Time Attack - Tanner Foust

Crawford Skunkworks Partners
Subaru of America, Inc.
Hankook Tire
TEIN USA
Torco Race Fuels
NGK Spark Plugs

Crawford Skunkworks Supporters
MOTUL
Garrett Turbos
RECARO
JE Pistons
The DriveShaft Shop

Chris Escamilla – Crawford Performance
4168 Avenida De La Plata Ste. 116
Oceanside, CA 92056
cescamilla@crawfordperformance.com

More on Tanner Foust: http://www.tannerfoust.com/
More on Tyler McQaurrie: http://www.tylermcquarrie.com/
More on Auto Club Speedway: http://www.californiaspeedway.com/

[/quote]

guaranteed that’s not running on a factory tune… out of the box i cannot believe how shittay the power distro is.

car feels VERY weird compared to my '04 but it sticks to the road very well.

:tup: tho!

:tup: I love it.

The accelerometer in the vid is a great addition.

Lol, if you read the press release it states somewhere it’s around 600 hp.

The 08 sti factory tune sucks, but they are making some AWESOME power out of the stage 2 tune.
I’m sure you already checked out NASIOC and IWSTI.
Post up some pics of the new ride… after you get the tail overlays obviously :stuck_out_tongue:

Yea stg 2 is about 100 ft/lbs increase, 50 whp or so also… not bad for a downpipe and tune on a scooby.

Tail overlays were ordered 2 days before I bought it :lol:

Isn’t that the same as the stuff for the previous sti only just dp rather than full exhaust? Link?

don’t know if you need to be a registered member - but turninconcepts.com has been working on an 08 build and they put down 282 whp/354 ft/lbs with a downpipe and tune

What kind of numbers are they putting out stock? 230/230?

238 whp and 255 ft/lbs according to the baseline dyno at that shop i believe :lol:

I hate seeing Crawford succeed based on how shitty thier commitment is to their street motors.

There are no attractive girls in the 3rd picture…
Car whores are getting uglier these days.

:tdown:

Not bad.

Chino, where are the pics of your new ride?

have not had time yet… that and it is filthy dirty. I was hoping to get out tonight actually so I can get some stock pictures before my first mod arrives (tail light overlays :lol:)

Cant wait to see this fucking thing!!! even though i sat in one at the to auto show i still love that fuckign car!

Too bad the thing is just so damn ugly. Thumbs-up to Tanner for using some rally techniques to scrub off speed instead of using the brakes.

Only thing ugly about it is the tails. The rest of the car is just fucking great. I thought i would hate it then i saw it in person and was done with mine. Its so fucking functional and classy.

Still ugly :lol:

ugh you are such an evo owner now :frowning:

lost forever :spank:

what do you drive again?

i would drive a neon over an evo 8 too :slight_smile:

Pretty awesome, I do love the new STI.